Vauxhall automatics - any specific issues? - andrew_rs
I am urgently searching for an automatic car so am constrained by what is available used and locally.
Initially looked at Renault as I like their cars but very few around locally and I am aware the older autos are not the most reliable - saw a Clio 1.6 auto 2002 52 plate with 20000 miles.
Have however just driven and like an 56 plate Vauxhall Astra SRi 1.8 auto and am very close to buying. Is there anything specific to beware of though?
Car has done 9000 miles and I think was a 'fleet' car.

Only other make I had thought of was Nissan with the Micra and Note but not the most inspiring of cars - though presumably pretty solid and reliable?

Ford has nothing locally, only through Ford Direct so cannot view/test drive.

Andrew
Vauxhall automatics - any specific issues? - Vauxhall fan
Not much to worry about - had several Vauxhall Auto's (Carlton GSI, Corsa 1.4, even a Chevette!) - all ended up with over 100,000 miles during my ownership with no Auto problems at all.
GM auto boxes are considered one of the best in the world!
Avoid french autos - they are terrible for reliability.
Vauxhall automatics - any specific issues? - Talking Hoarse
I have an old lady of a Vectra B 2.0 auto. Having had it since (it was) 6 months old it is growing rather old gracefully. I think it has the Toyota type gearbox as used in Volvos & others.
I consider that the auto gearbox (albeit 4 speed) and engine combination is the best I have ever experienced. It does what it should, changes smoothly, kicks down when it should etc. It does have the gb oil changed every 2-3 years (even flushed once that is no mean feat).
I have had many autos on hire over the years - and have never come across such a good combination of engine and auto box, and that includes Fords, Peugot, Volvo, Saab & other Vauxhalls. I have had a few Astra 1.8 autos that have been good but I thought the gear changes were jerky (Astras a most certainly very much more agile than my Vectra B). For my next car I will likely look at an Astra 1.8 or diesel auto, having read some threads that suggest to beware of the easytronics (that are cheap @ auction).