2005 Diesel- Are they known to have a hard clutch? - clockerharvey
Hi - I have purchased a 2005 Rover 75 estate today and was really pleased with it. The clutch was harder to operate than the car that I usually drive, which is a Fiesta, but was not a problem for me on either the test drive or driving it after delivery today.

My wife has tried it and tells me that it is too hard for her to operate, and as she would need to drive it every day, this means that we cannot keep it. This is the only time she has ever had a problem with a clutch on any car so I am wondering whether there could be a fixable mechanical or hydraulic reason why this cars clutch is hard to operate or is it just a feature of all 75s???

Regards

Steve

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 20/02/2008 at 21:21

2005 - Are they known to have a hard clutch? - Dynamic Dave
Engine size? Petrol or diesel?

In HJ's car by car breakdown, it says "Check clutch operation if buying a diesel"
No explanation why though.
2005 - Are they known to have a hard clutch? - clockerharvey
Diesel !

{well 50% of the questions I asked were answered!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/02/2008 at 00:32

2005 - Are they known to have a hard clutch? - injection doc
they do have a heavey clutch because its diesel & need a strong spring to cope with the power from the diesel plant.
Try before you buy
Doc
2005 - Are they known to have a hard clutch? - RichardW
"they do have a heavey clutch because its diesel & need a strong spring to cope with the power from the diesel plant"

That's not up to your usual standards IJ - the clutch in my Xantia HDi 110 is hydraulic and feather light, as I would expect most modern diesel clutches to be. I would suspect that a 75 with a heavy clutch needs a new one - I saw some pics of one being changed a week or two back - and the subframe was out, so it doesn't look like a pretty job....
2005 - Are they known to have a hard clutch? - Falkirk Bairn
Not just clutch it could be Clutch & dual mass flywheel - sounds expensive
2005 - Are they known to have a hard clutch? - mrmender
75 Diesel Clutches are quite heavy Mine certainly is and always has been in the 40k i've owned it
2005 - Are they known to have a hard clutch? - injection doc
"That's not up to your usual standards IJ " Thank you RichardW glad to know someone appreciates my efforts. I had almost given up after the sarcastic remarks from one or two. Unfortunatley in a nut shell the clutches are quite heavey. When brandnew there not bad for about 6 months but after that not the best of cars unless you have legs like a body builder.
IJ