EGS autobox a nightmare? - paitonboy
I have been reading various reports that the EGS autobox on the C5 Grand Picasso is very bad when manoeuvring in and out of parking spaces. Has anyone had experience of this and, if so, did they approach Citroen with the problem.

If this is indeed the case then I will abandon the idea of buying this car and look for another 6/7 seater MPV with a better autobox. Anyone have any suggestions on this front? Must be reliable.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 19/02/2008 at 21:01

EGS Autobox a Nightmare? - gordonbennet
You can now have a proper auto option on the C4 picasso, imo its very nice and a big improvement, dont know why they didnt offer it straight away.

TBH, virtually all automated manuals i drive (close manoeuvering, steep hill starts etc) are the same...awful...my opinion only, probably ok on the open road if you like that sort of thing.

If your looking for another auto mpv,could try the zafira/astra auto, very smooth.

EGS Autobox a Nightmare? - paitonboy
Thanks for the info but since when has this regular automatic been available? I haven't seen it advertised anywhere.

I have veered away from the Zafira a number of times due to iffy quality reports. Ditto Galaxy and Sharan. Generally I prefer Japanese, but there's only the Previa in this general size of MPV and the MMT boxes on Toyotas also have many adverse reports. Looks like Honda then - but the Stream is a tad small. Mazda 5 auto is brand new (out next month) and I'm not sure of their track records with autos.

One other option is to import a recent model automatic Odyssey from Japan but I'd prefer to buy in the UK if at all possible.

All in all, a bit of a dilemma!
EGS Autobox a Nightmare? - gordonbennet
Its literally only just become available in the last few weeks, i've seen it on the 'lounge' model, and its supposed to be available as an option on the others too, it does pull away nice and smoothly unlike the auto/manual thingy.

Would the hyundai mpv be considerable for you (can't think of the name at the mo, memory's going to the dogs), its a big un. (found it, trajet).

Smaller alternative, Kia carens.

I'm surprised at there being bad reports on previa boxes, however i know very little about the new previa, but the box on the old model was a gem, mind you the previa's the size of a small bungalow.