Birmingham traffic Thursday a.m.? - Group B
Hullo folks,

Can anyone advise on traffic conditions in Birmingham morning rush hour, and how much extra time to allow?

I've got to get to a seminar at Aston University (Aston Triangle) for 9am on Thursday, from Nottingham. Looking on MS Autoroute and on Google Maps they both say 1 hour for the journey.
Can anyone advise with local traffic info particularly for the last stretch, going from M42 onto M6 onto A5127 Aston Expressway?

I?ve only driven into Brum once in the last 10 years and that was late morning..

Also the info I have from the University is that parking will be limited due to construction work, are there any public car parks near to the ?Aston Triangle??

Cheers,

Rich.
Birmingham traffic Thursday a.m.? - Number_Cruncher
Most days I go in to Birmingham from Derby - I go down the A38.

If you want to go that way, and get in to Aston at 9, you need to be coming past Derby on the A50 before 7:45.

I don't know about parking near Aston, because I work a little way South of the centre.
Thanks for that N_C, I will investigate that route.

I have found out there is an NCP car park not far from the University site.

Cheers,

Rich.
Birmingham traffic Thursday a.m.? - dxp55
Best of luck
Birmingham traffic Thursday a.m.? - Red Baron
If you aim to come in for 8am, then it might take you 1 hour. Otherwise allow at least 1.5 hours.

My boss travels from Sawley to near Birmingham airport each day. M42 is best, then A45 into Brum. - Can't quite remember where Aston Uni is, but I would avoid the A38.
Birmingham traffic Thursday a.m.? - ijws15
Would not recommend M42 to M6 as the M6 is queueing at that junction into Birmingham from 7:30 when I cross it.

Try leaving the M42 at Jn 9 (Belfrey) and come through Minworth to pick up the A38. Don't expect anything to flow much at 0800.

Stay on Aston Expressway past the ringroad and leave just before the flyover, turn left at the fire station (in front of Aston University)- note 20mph zone - and you will pass the entrance to the university on the left. About a quarter of a mile further just past the right hand bend in the road there is some open parking (pay & display) on the left (Fazeley St or Barth Street, don't usually use that one), they built a block of flats on the nearest one. Alternately there is a multistorey NCP off Dale End.

Birmingham traffic Thursday a.m.? - ijws15
Correction - Bartholemew Street.

Google Earth is a little out of date in that area.
Thanks for all your suggestions, and pointers on where not to drive.
And thanks for that dxp55. I will need luck to stay awake during the day, the seminar is about concrete industrial floor design.

May still use the car but I'm also considering going on the train, New Street Station is only 10 mins. walk away. By car I was hoping I could save time and stay in bed longer but the journey time will not be much longer by train..

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 19/02/2008 at 14:10

Birmingham traffic Thursday a.m.? - rtj70
I'd take the train. You might have to get up earlier but you can sleep on the train.
Buying tickets for particular times in advance can be a big saving. Buying singles can also save.