52 reg 1.6 petrol Headlight bulb blown - again! - Waino
Well, my old Mondy has covered 145,000 miles and I've only ever replaced one headlamp bulb but SWMBO's Focus (54k miles) seems to have developed a habit of blowing one or the other headlamp bulb every 5 or 6 months. This time, it's the battery side again - and that's a real pain!

I wonder if this is a common problem with Foci, or is it symptomatic of some other fault? I'd be grateful for any opinions.

Cheers Waino

52 reg 1.6 petrol Headlight bulb blown - again! - Dynamic Dave
If you've got a multimeter, check the voltage going to the bulb. If it's too low, then it can cause the filament to carbonise up. On bulbs such as the tail lights you'll get a metallic looking appearance on the glass. I can't remember if the same happens to halogen bulbs if they are run at the wrong voltage.
52 reg 1.6 petrol Headlight bulb blown - again! - Screwloose

What's the make and source of the replacement bulbs? These are designed to charge at over 15 volts after a cold start and that will rapidly kill poor quality bulbs.
The bulb that has just blown was made by "Ring" and was fitted last July at the local garage. The one before that on the same side blew after 8 months - I got it direct from a local motor factor and it was a cheap one (cost me £2.50) :-( .

Can you recommend a reliable brand/type. I'm not interested in 80% more light etc - just one that will last a bit longer as changing them is such a ******! I don't mind paying more - honest!

Thanks, chaps.
52 reg 1.6 petrol Headlight bulb blown - again! - Screwloose

Why was I not surprised when you mentioned that particular four-letter word?

Use genuine Ford Motorcraft bulbs, or Osram, Lucas, Wurth, Optilux etc.

[P.S. A cheap one is 69p...]
52 reg 1.6 petrol Headlight bulb blown - again! - Snakey
I went through about a dozen bulbs in a year on my 02 Focus until I swapped to Philips bulbs at around £7 - lasted until I got rid of the car.

Worth paying a little extra as they're not that easy to get at!
Snakey, can you remember - were the Philips bulbs 'standard'. Whenever I look for Philips bulbs on the net, it seems to come up with 'super-duper/extra light/wizzy blue etc. I can't seem to find a straightforward 'ordinary' bulb.

I know I can get a 'standard' motorcraft bulb from the local Ford dealer - is that likely to be as good as the Philips?

Thanks, Waino.