03 130 TDCi engine clatter at around 1500rpm - Red Baron
The most recent problem was when No. 2 injector was out of calibration. New software cured this.

Car also ran smoother with less 'pull' in the lower gears around town. And less soot out the back when I floored the accelerator.

Now, however, mostly when starting from cold and only at around 1500-1800rpm in any gear there is a quite audible clatter/splatter of the engine. It is momentary even if I then deliberately stay at that rpm. It does not happen all of the time. The clater/splatter duration is slightly longer if I accelerate more slowly. At all other rpm there is no similar noise. I fully appreciate that a diesel clatters anyway on acceleration.

The car does not appear to lose momentum, as it might if it were firing on only 3 cylinders (I'm thinking that No.2 injector is not quite right).
03 130 TDCi engine clatter at around 1500rpm - spikeyhead {p}
It;s also possible that the exhaust is starting to give way
03 130 TDCi engine clatter at around 1500rpm - Red Baron
Not sure that it is quite that type of noise, but thanks for the suggestion.
03 130 TDCi engine clatter at around 1500rpm - cheddar
You could try disconneting the battery for 30mins + though make sure you have the radio code etc. This clearly the ECU's "learning" function and can settle things down.
03 130 TDCi engine clatter at around 1500rpm - paulb {P}
Euro III or IV? Only reason I ask is that the IV models do seem to make more noise at low revs.
03 130 TDCi engine clatter at around 1500rpm - rtj70
I only ever drove a Euro IV Mondeo TDCi (demo and then mine for four years). I can say at low revs it was noisy. I mentioned on here a few times and it seems I might have been alone - but most probably had the Euro III.

On the move it was fine and on motorways as quiet if not quieter than the previous Passat 1.8T.

EDIT: I meant to add that whilst noisy it did not have the symptoms posted by Red Baron. It did have problems with two EGR valves though.

Edited by rtj70 on 14/02/2008 at 20:59