1999 1.6 rt 16V - Cambelt change intervals - Arnie28
I just thought I would get peoples opinion on the Advice I got from my Renault Dealership.Because I have been far from impressed with them in the past (two days after having a gold service and mot which cost me around £400 my battery failed ). I don't care if they say the battery isn't checked in a service /mot , it's a bit bad to have to call the AA two days after spending £400 on a maintainence check at a main dealer. Also according to a mechanic I spoke to last year they ripped me off completely in terms of the service.

So anyway I booked my car in today for another service and mot. The guy sounded quite disappointed when he said my service/mot would be somewhat cheaper this year and would probably be £120. He then just as I was about to end the call asked about my cambelt. My car has done 48000 miles. (I can walk to work and just use at weekends when Iam designated driver ). According to my renault handbook the cambelt should be changed not later than 72000 miles.He quoted me £500. I mentioned about what was said on the handbook and he said the cambelt also wears over time. How true is this? and anyone know exactly how many Renaults belts snap before 72000? The time period is not mentioned in the handbook as far as I can see. Call me Mr cynical but I don't fancy spending £620 unless I really have too esp as the car has a low milage for it's age. I drive like an old person because of the amount of speed cameras around here.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/02/2008 at 19:27

Renault Cambelt - Screwloose
Arnie

Be a devil and let us in on the secret of whether it's petrol or diesel, what engine size, number of valves and, oh yes, the year.
Renault Cambelt - Arnie28
Ah sorry. It's a 99 Renault Megane 1.6 rt 16 v petrol
Renault Cambelt - Pugugly {P}
Thanks Screwloose !
Renault Cambelt - bimmer-driver
Then IMO your on borrowed time for the cambelt. If its the original one thats on 9 years is pushing it really. Especially for a 16v Renault. I'd get the cambelt and the tensioners done with a cambelt kit at a reputable independant garage.
Renault Cambelt - Screwloose
Arnie

If built before the end of March '99 it's 60,000 miles or 5 years.

If built from April '99-on, then it's 72,000 or 5 years.

It's booked at 3.6 hours for both types.

Like all rubber products exposed to heat and oil, cam-belts get brittle with age. As the cost of damage from a broken belt would probably nudge £2000 at their prices - I'd get it changed.
Renault Cambelt - cheddar
5 years max, 50,000 max, whichever comes first.
Renault Cambelt - ossy
Hi, my renault laguna 1.8, 16v, 2002, done 28069 miles, rattles. It only starts rattling when is warm and idling under 1000rpm. When cold, it does not. CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE!
1999 1.6 16v rt auto,whining noise - Arnie28
Hi I got a new cambelt and water pump fitted today. I went to a garage recommended by a taxi driver I know.

Initally the cost was £290 for cambelt kit and labour . Got a call from the manager who told me my water pump was leaking and I needed a new one.I agreed to it ,which bumped the cost up to (370. When I got the car back I was told everything was fine but to check the water levels before starting the engine up tomorrow. When I got back in the car and turned the engine on I noticed a whining noise coming from behind the steering wheel.Still on the garage forecourt I went back to speak to the manager, who apologised for forgetting to explain to me everything was tight and the engine needed to be 'run in'.He said if the noise was still there after another hundred miles to come back and he would have a look at it.

Thoughts?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/02/2008 at 19:14

1999 1.6 16v rt auto,whining noise - Screwloose
New belts can be noisy - particularly if they're over-tightened. Run it for a while and see if it settles down.

I hope those were genuine parts and they've got a belt-tension gauge.

Edited by Screwloose on 15/02/2008 at 19:30

1999 1.6 16v rt auto,whining noise - Arnie28
I hope the parts were genuine too. The car is running fine apart from that, in fact it feels better than before.