2007 LC5 auto - Knocking /Clatter noise on startup - meljac
I have had a diesel clatter/knocking sound coming from my LC5 around 1000rpm to 1800rpm on start up and when the engine is under load. The noise is similar to the" old tractor " noise".
The noise does get quieter once the enging is warmed up, and I have just changed the oil to 5w30 and had new injectors fitted, but still the problem persists. Can any one throw some light on the subject as the Toyota garage in Spain does not seem to know how to solve the problem

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/02/2008 at 19:57

Knocking /Clatter noise on startup - Dave N
The D4D engine has a cold start mode that happens to make a lot of noise in order to warm up quicker. They alter timing, fuel etc, but it should go back to normal once warm.
Knocking /Clatter noise on startup - meljac
Thank you for that Dave N but I still hear the noise if you slow down after the engine has warmed up and accelerate away
Knocking /Clatter noise on startup - Dynamic Dave
Can any one throw some light on the subject as the Toyota garage in Spain
does not seem to know how to solve the problem

I take it they know the year and engine details? Something that seems to missing from the subject header, despite 3 separate requests to include it.
The garage have all the details ie 2007 lc5 auto d4d 1KD-FTV
Knocking /Clatter noise on startup - Screwloose

Have they checked the DMF?
I wasn't aware that an auto box had a DMF I am aware semi auto boxes do however I will mention this as I am unsure of the auto configuration
Knocking /Clatter noise on startup - Screwloose

You're right, it doesn't have one. I'm famous for often missing vehicle details.
Knocking /Clatter noise on startup - gordonbennet
There have been some issues with the 3'0 litre diesels being very noisy as you describe.

Dont know how many are affected, but i know from the two forums i am a member of that toyo have replaced the injectors on a few examples, this applies to the hilux 3.0 litre also (same engine)

If its really noisy pester your dealer, and they should replace the injectors, that seems to cure it (edit, i'm a plank i see youve already had new injectors...wake up gb)

Have toyo lost their total reliability crown, i sincerely hope not as one of the reasons for buying mine was that very one. If this is the case i hope they will be extending warranty cover on affected vehicles, wait and see on that one.

On the subject of oil specs though, my toyo dealer advised against using the 5 - 30 oil as they regard it as too thin for the vehicle, and they suggest i use the supplied 10 - 40 genuine toyo oil.

Purely out of interest, i allow my vehicle to warm before driving off most of the time, do you drive hard or normally with the engine cold?
I ask this as one of the chaps who's recently had new injectors under warranty seems to give his motor a fair hammering, and he also left his first oil change till the recommended 9K.
I'm not trying to make any bones about this, or say that anyone is right or wrong, i'm trying to see if there are any common links, so far mine is relatively quiet, we'll see.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/02/2008 at 22:36

Thanks GB . Funny isnt it, one dealer says use the 10w40 another says 5w30 I did have 15w40 Toyo oil to start of. The vehicle has only done 9k and has just been serviced. Apparently when I wrote to Toyota Europe they said as long as the oil conforms to the CF or CF4 rating it does not matter which oil manufacturer you use. At present here in Spain they have ESSO as their supplier.
No I do not drive hard from cold and allow the engine to warm up steadily. I will pester them and I have now been onto Toyota Madrid" Head Office" and wait to see what they come back with. otherwise I love the beast!
I hope they sort this out for you, do please keep us posted on the outcome.

One thing troubles me a bit, i have the hilux auto with the same engine and the recommended oilchange is 9K miles; strangely enough, the lads on the Aussie forum tell me their recommended interval is 9K also but kilometers, which as you know is a little over 6K miles,( though they seem to be old fashioned types and mostly change oil at 5K kilometeres), so somewhere toyo have some sorting out to do.

I can't imagine that more frequent changes would have any effect on injectors, but i did my first change at 2 and a bit thousand miles, and the engine was noticeably quieter.
Knocking /Clatter noise on startup - NARU
I thought these engines had traditional (ie non hydraulic) tappets, so wouldn't expect an oil change to make much difference to the engine sound.
I don't know about the hydraulic tappet issue Marlot, i would have thought they had them by now.

But i promise you the engine was noticeably quieter following oil change, noticed immediately by SWMBO also, it wasn't just the colder oil on restart but still the same for weeks. I didn't expect such an obvious difference either to be honest.

I'd like to get a decent manual though for my vehicle and engine, and i'll have to enquire at toyo to see if they'll let me buy one, should imagine it'll be years before haynes get round to one for the new model.
Toyota Spain have now requested that the engine is to be interrogated and the results sent to them so as someone can see whether the parameters are being met. I am now waiting for them to arrange an appointment with the dealer. Will keep you posted!
Success at last !!Toyota have given the dealer a new set of figures for the D4D 1KD-FTV 171bhp and I had the input this PM the engine is as quiet as new now. Apparently it had to do with the combustion side of things and with the EURO 1V emission control.
Knocking /Clatter noise on startup - NARU
Good result!
Hi again Meljac, so do i understand correctly that toyo have reprogrammed your vehicle and now its cured?

So does that mean it never needed the new injectors either?

I don't suppose you could get any sort of reference (number or coding or something) from the dealer that us hilux or landcruiser users could refer our dealers to, in the event of similar please?

I'm glad about the outcome for you, and thanks for the update.
Hi GB have spoken to the dealer and he is reluctant to pass any figures to me he showed me two fool scap pages of figures that Toyo Europe sent them for Cruisers and other vehicles that seem to be having problems. From what I can gather the" programmer" said that new injectors were possibly not needed but they changed them under guarantee. Toyota Europe have called me twice so far and enquired how the vehicle was performing. I wonder whether Toyota UK would be so interested in their clients??. One thing I forgot to mention I watched the guy reprogram and noticed that the set of figures was only two numbers out. I would think that if your Hilux did suffer from this or any other fault the dealer would download current figures send them off to Toyota and they would assess and reply with the correct numbers. The Bruiser is much quieter and the fuel consumption has improved too.
Hello Meljac, much obliged for taking the trouble over this, and for all the info.

I'll be sure to let Toyo UK know just how good the Europe people are in the event of problems.

I trust your tonka will be good for all now.

Bet you're tempted by that new V8 diesel in the amazon though.

Regards

Knocking /Clatter noise on startup - merlinauto
Hello GB and Meljac.

Do you happen to know if similar problems are known to affect the later 2KD-FTV engines fitted to Hiluxs?

Do you know if the 2KD-FTV uses a particulate trap?

Thanks - don\'t see much Toyota stuff on here.
Do you happen to know if similar problems are known to affect the later 2KD-FTV
engines fitted to Hiluxs?
Do you know if the 2KD-FTV uses a particulate trap?

Hi merlin, i'm only aware of this heavy knocking being a (albeit rare) problem on the 3.0 td common rail diesel as fitted to the LC5 and the mk6 hilux (also vigo when a grey).

Havent a clue about the particulate filter, TBH i get confused with the engine code nos, dont even know which my own is.

You may get better info from hpoc.co.uk (hilux pickup owners club) hope mods dont mind me mentioning them.

Regards.