03 2.0HDi - cold starting problem - jayvee
Ihave a 53 reg 2.0hdi, sw ,se ,that's done 90k miles. when the temperature is below 5degrees it is VERY slow at cranking over.obviously when its been started once it starts again but it still seems to be slow at cranking I had a new battery fitted in august, size 075, I have been back to the shop and had it checked out as ok. when it is really cold I have sometimes to use jump leads from a spare battery but this does not seem to crank it over much quicker (this spare is on a trickle charger just in case) I have fitted new glow plugs also but my thoughts are looking towards the starter motor itself now. how much are they/ and is it an awkward job to fit? is the battery the correct size? all the local battery shop did was gave me a like for like but who knows whether that was the original? any helpful ideas would be appreciated

53 reg 2.0hdi included in the subject line (as per the request x 3 when you're posting - PU)

Edited by Webmaster on 12/02/2008 at 00:27

cold starting problem - Screwloose
jv

Check the voltage across the battery; also the difference between the battery positive's actual lead post and the starter main feed stud [on the thread itself] and the difference between the starter's casing and the actual lead post of the negative terminal - all tested when cranking.

The same battery number doesn't mean the same actual cranking amperage - price/quality matters.
cold starting problem - jayvee
thanks for that, what voltage should I be looking for? 12.5 on the positive and zero on the neg?
cold starting problem - Screwloose
jv

It's the difference in voltage that you're measuring. Expect up to 0.5v on the feed and 0.3v on the return.

It's the relationship of the 3 readings that will show more.
cold starting problem - jayvee
problem now cured!!!!!!!!! had no time to do voltage checks due to work commitments, persevered a whole then checked starter by touch one cold morning and was warm as were battery terminals, booked into my local auto leccy who replaced starter motor and now it turns over like a new motor! £170 job done. thanks for your help screwloose.
cold starting problem - emoeste
Hi jayvee,

I have the same problem. My car is not starting after nights or after longer time on a car park. But if it starts once, it is ok all the time. Had few things done already which didn`t helped. Could you tell me, please what starter motor did you fitted? Was is new or used, or re-manufactured? Are they all the same for diesels anyway? Cause I brought one from scrapped car to see if its gonna help. I have a warranty from guys, which allow me to give it back if its not working, but I hope it is going to help... what else it could be? And why starter motor could be the reason of starting problem only when the engine is cold?

Any help will be appreciated,
Best regards