1998 1.9TD - fast idle vacuum pipe? - Xantia_angst
Hello folks, my first post here though I have been reading for a couple of years whenever Ive had a Xantia issue.

Problem: engine fast idle is too high with engine warmed up, drops sometimes to normal. Found that what I assume is a vacuum pipe has come off but my STUPID problem is I cant see where it goes back on!

The pipe is only 10cm or so long, and has marks on the very end that suggest it pushes onto something, there is nothing I can find within 50cm let alone 10cm 8/

Haynes is no help as it seems to refer to an electronic thingy in a later engine and says nothing about a pipe.

I think I have a bosch pump, the idle mechanism seems to be like this if it helps:

lever on rear of pump/wire cable/ 2cm thick round disk on a bracket/approx 4mm black rubber pipe 10cm in length......

Thanks in nervous anticipation.

Mark

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/02/2008 at 00:00

1.9TD 1998 fast idle vacuum pipe? - nick74
The vacuum pipe for the fast idle should be connected to the "round disk" that you describe and from there goes to an electrovalve mounted on a bracket on the bulkhead.

Edited by nick74 on 10/02/2008 at 15:32

1.9TD 1998 fast idle vacuum pipe? - Xantia_angst
Aha, found the area after taking the air hose off, the "stub" that the pipe pushes onto on the valve thingy you mention has broken off.

Ive wound back the cable so it doesnt affect the idle until I can find out what that wee plastic bit is and where I can get one...... I expect its part of the valve = £

Will the hole in the valve thingy where the pipe should be cause any problems with the EGR valve thingy? Searching on other forums for electrovalve led me to discover that the two valves idle and EGR share a vacuum feed, should I stick a bit of bluetack on the hole?

All seems to be a very complex arrangement for a duffer like me to play with.

Thanks very much indeed 8)
1.9TD 1998 fast idle vacuum pipe? - nick74
The last time I bought one of these valves (about 3 years ago) they were around £13 from a main dealer so not too bad. You will probably find it runs reasonably well without a cold start fast idle anyway, so if you've adjusted the cable so it idles normally all the time it may be as well just to leave it like that. The worst it will do is be a bit clattery when first starting in cold weather.

I disabled the EGR on mine, well it disabled itself - the vacuum pipe fell off! I plugged the end of the vacuum pipe with a self tapping screw to avoid the open pipe sucking dirt etc into the pump. Personally I don't think EGR is a good idea on old diesel engines and they're happier without it, but its a matter of opinion...

Edited by nick74 on 10/02/2008 at 18:16

It does indeed seem to start and run AOK. So Ill take your advice and leave as is, the morning will tell how it starts properly cold, but I usually find it starts better with 1/4 throttle anyway so should be fine.

Thanks again!
Update in case its useful to someone.

I gave up trying to fix the fast idle vacuum bits, just left it disconnected and the lever on the pump in the "off" position.

I discovered that engine was still not dropping down to a reasonable idle speed after reving, hot or cold, seemingly at random. Eventually found a damper at the rear of the bosch pump that acts on the throttle lever and slows its fall to idle, this damper seems to have aged and become sticky, WD40 didnt help so I backed off the adjusting screw that presses on the damper plunger a bit and problem solved.

Engine seems to start and run with no issues.