2000 1.4 - slipping clutch - boden
My W reg 1.4 almera has an occasional slipping clutch. Threre is plenty of bite on the pedal and never a problem changing gear,it was notified at the last MOT 12 months ago but I said leave it as I had never felt it and they wanted £250. I read on a website somewhere it could be a cable fault that takes minutes to sort out, is anybody aware of this I dont intend to have it changed when it goes in again shortly but would like it to be rectified if possible by adjusting the cable

year/engine details added to header as per the 3 requests that you failed to see!

Edited by Webmaster on 09/02/2008 at 03:59

2000 1.4 - slipping clutch - ChicksFan
per au yahoo answers com:

Q.
How do I adjust the clutch on my Almera GTi. There is the cable, a nut, the fork and a knurled nut. The knurled nut wont turn, the other nut and the cable can move. The free play at the pedal does not change. Help please.

A.
The nut locks the metal wavy covered Knurled knob to the cable. Use Vice grip locking pliers hold onto the cable break loose the nut then use slip jaw regular pliers to loosen the knurled knob. Approx 1/4 free play at the clutch will be almost an inch at the floor pedal free play. As the clutch disk wears the free play lessens. Looser is better.

Ron
2000 1.4 - slipping clutch - Screwloose
boden

It's very odd for a MOT to concern itself with a clutch fault - well outside their usual checks.

It also wouldn't have lasted 12 months if it was that bad. When does it slip?
2000 1.4 - slipping clutch - rebel
"It's very odd for a MOT to concern itself with a clutch fault - well outside their usual checks"

When driving the car out of the brake test rollers, or onto a ramp, even slight clutch slip will be highlighted.

In this case, although not part of the test, an advisory note to the vehicle owner is in order.

DC