2000 316se - oil light on for 10 secs on startup - hitcho
can anyboby tell me why my oil light comes on straight after start up it stays on for about 10 secs then goes out my oil is at correct level cheers 2000 316se

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/02/2008 at 18:36

oil light - colino
While pressure switches can and do fail, I'd give the car an oil and filter change sharpish and hope that cures your ills. You haven't mentioned unusual noises, but I would be surprised if a well maintained beemer of that age, unless with starship mileage, would have this problem.
oil light - mjm
1 oil pump on its last legs.
2 oil pressure sender faulty.
3 the oil filter non return valve is not working and the oil is draining back into the sump. The pump is therefore taking longer to fill the filter, oil passages etc.

No 3 is the most likely. When were the oil and filter changed last, and is the filter a good quality make?
oil light - Screwloose

You need to get the oil pressure checked urgently by a garage with a pressure test set.

If the light is working properly, that's a potentially terminal engine or filter fault.
oil light - hitcho
thanks for replys i have had the car 6 months and it has done this since i bought it think it might be the oil pressure switch
oil light - ChicksFan
You think!!!

So what are you going to do? Leave it?
oil light - frank087234
Hi, What did you do with this orange oil light?
Did you replace oil level sensor?>
Is there any leak under your car?