(98-04) Cracking appearing on Front Brake Pads - scobe
Just had a service on my car. The dealer has advised that the Front Brake Pads have become cracked, the discs are showing a blue streak and should be replaced.

The pads and discs where previously installed by Ford and i have done 5000 miles on them.

Ford have advised that this could be down to overheating, they also blamed alloys for allowing water to get onto the brakes causing the pads to cool down quicker and forcing the pads to become brittle. But i have not driven the car excessivly hard and there is minimal wear on the pads other than the cracking.

As Brakes are "wear and tear" parts the dealer has told me they wont replace them.

Does the cracking of pads sound normal or should i push to get them replaced.

{No mention of age of car, despite requests to include this. So picked up age range from drop down menu}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/02/2008 at 23:54

Cracking appearing on Front Brake Pads - zookeeper
i think your dealer is showing your green streak , ford pads and discs dont go after 5k unless you only answer to the name stig
Cracking appearing on Front Brake Pads - piston power
A second opinion is required here without seeing the parts i can't say, a very well known fast fit chain do a free brake check.

They will give you a written quote of any work needed at that mileage i can't see why there shot, most car's come with alloy wheels without any problems, unless the caliper is sticking but you would feel it pull to one side when braking, what is the mileage?
Cracking appearing on Front Brake Pads - scobe
Mileage is 20000 miles.

No pulling on either side under braking and the issue is happening on both sides.

Edited by scobe on 07/02/2008 at 20:00

Cracking appearing on Front Brake Pads - bathtub tom
>>The pads and discs where previously installed by Ford and i have done 5000 miles on them.

>>Mileage is 20000 miles.

So the original discs and pads were replaced after 15000 miles.
How long do your tyres last?
I think the blame on the initial pads and discs was caused by the car sitting for 3 months unused and the pads had seized to the discs.

So i could accept the replacement of pads and discs at 15000 miles.
Cracking appearing on Front Brake Pads - piston power
3 months is nothing many cars stand for that think you have been ripped off by somebody but thats my opinion..
Cracking appearing on Front Brake Pads - ChicksFan
Yes, but if after standing for some time, the pads become firmly attached to the discs because of rust then the pad material can become detached from the pad backing plate.

Sounds as if this car is little used and the main brake problems then can be corrosion and seizure. Mileage becomes irrelevant.
Since the last change in the pads and discs the car has been used constantly if not high mileage.

so the original pads I can justify them being replaced.

I got this response on another forum

"blue streak means overheating, pads cracking is also due to overheating. Ford Focus have a problem with front calipers getting mis aligned when pads get changed, the slide bolts strip threads on the way out and cross thread on the way back in, leaving the pads to sit at an angle to the disc.The new pads don't have room to sit at that angle so they burn."
Cracking appearing on Front Brake Pads - Collos25
The brakes used on Fords are also used on thousands of other cars without problems any stripping of threads or misalignment is soley down to bad workmanship.