1996 2.5 V6 - Heater cold at low revs - Turtle1966
I've trawled the old posts (and fordmondeo.org!) and can't find any specific answers to this, so thought i'd give it a go with a new thread!

My recently acquired V6 Mondeo only gives me hot air with the revs over around 2,000rpm!

I've checked the collant level and it had a new water pump about 3 years ago.

I wondered if it is more likely to be the thermostat (?) than the vacuum assist on the flap controls?

Anyone else resolved this, as it seems to have been a problem for other too!

Thanks in advance!

S
1996 2.5 V6 - Heater cold at low revs - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
First thought was the water pump but unlikely as quite recent. More likely is a partially blocked matrix and the coolant flow through the heater is slow enough to be chilled by the blower unless the revs are up. Try dropping off the pipes to the heater and repeatedly backflushing with a hose ]on alternate pipes to try and dislodge scum. sediment and old radiator sealant.
Andrew

theres no replacement for displacement......

1996 2.5 V6 - Heater cold at low revs - Screwloose

Was that new water pump a genuine Ford one, or from a factor?
Thanks.

I'll try the back flushing.

The water pump was done before I has the car, no idea whether they used genuine Ford (or the famed "metal impeller" model)

I do seem to be using up some coolant, not a lot, but enough to make me think that this may be related? Early signs of HG failure? Pressure down within the cooling system stopping the coolant getting through a slightly blocked heater matrix?

Seems feasible? Any other thoughts?

Anyone know if it is practical\feasible to have the HG's done on these? It looks like it would be a big job! If feasible, what might I expect the cost to be?

Cheers!
Thought i'd give you all an update!

I backflushed the heater matrix and loads of gunk cleared - resulting in better flow through the matrix a heat at all revs - BUT...

Still using coolant and now got noticeable steam at the tail pipe, so definitely looking like early signs of HG failure!

With a bill of around £1000 looming to get the job done properly. I have reverted to looking at the possibility of using the US product "Thermagasket" which seems to have some rave reviews!

Anyone got any experience of this? They promise a refund if it doesn't work!

I will try it, may as well on a car worth £500, rather than scrap it or spend £1000!

I'll give you all a log of events and let you know what I think of it!

Thanks again for all your advice!

S