1996 1.8 petrol- wont rev over 3500 and runs rough - markm
My 1996 1.8 petrol multi point fuel injected 306 is difficult to start and when it does start it will only pick up revs to 3500 rpm very slowly even under heavy throttle. It is running rough and appears to be running like the timing is retarted. when the revs do eventually reach 3500 i can hear a solenoid click and the revs drop back to around 2000. is very hard to drive as it has no power at all. Can somebody help, thanks Mark.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/02/2008 at 12:41

Peugeot 306 wont rev over 3500 and runs rough - Screwloose
mark

When did it start doing this - suddenly or gradually? Anything happen about then? Hit a speedbump etc?

Any odd noises when you rev it - any hissing? Have you had the fault-codes read? Can you use a multimeter?

Peugeot 306 wont rev over 3500 and runs rough - markm
Hi, i had just fitted a harmonic balancer and a top engine mount, my son then drove the car for about 15mins and was just pulling out of a corner in 1st gear when he said the engine made a short hissing noise and stopped. Up until this the car had been running good so it happened suddenly. It doesnt rev at all only creeps up to 3500 and sounds like it is retarted and running a little rough and will not rev at all if you open throttle all the way it will just die. No i havent had any fault-codes read and i dont have a multimeter but i have a tune-up analyser which is a volt and amp meter. Do these have a rubber seal around the air intake where it screws onto the throttle body because mine was loose and the rubber seal could have been sucked into the manifold, i have looked with a mirror with the butterfly fully open and it looks clear, any help you could give would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Mark
Peugeot 306 wont rev over 3500 and runs rough - Screwloose
Mark

The hissing sound could be significant; either it's blocked it's cat, or the metal strip from the failed front pulley [the "harmonic balancer?"] has got into the cam-belt and jumped the cam-timing.

If you've got a tune-up meter; have you also got a vacuum gauge?
Hi, the area around the crankshaft gear with the cambelt around it looked clear when i replaced the balancer but what you say is a possibility. Do you mean the catalytic converter when you say cat because the engine is running a little rough and if the converter was blocked would it only stop the engine from reving and not cause it to run rough. Yes i do have a vacuum guage. Thanks Mark
Thanks screwloose jumped 4 teeth on cambelt its now running fine. Thanks Mark
1996 1.8 petrol- wont rev over 3500 and runs rough - jonsky
your lucky yours started,mine will not start since clutch replacement,keypad old and original code buttons worn out so I entered 0000 and now it will turn over but no spark, also after 3 trys to start the battery dies garage checked it and says its ok
1996 1.8 petrol- wont rev over 3500 and runs rough - Screwloose
jonsky

That's a common problem; re-check all your earth wires.

What are the lights on the keypad doing?
the red and green both on,is this a problem with keypad and how to change same at the moment I an changeing ex manifold gasket so will check all leads and get back to you
sq

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/03/2008 at 10:12

jonsky

Both lights on usually indicates a wiring fault; check the terminals of the combination relay on the ECU box.

The main earth cable/terminals is the usual culprit after a clutch change.

Edited by Screwloose on 04/03/2008 at 12:04

cleaned all ground cables where is the relay and where is the ecu I am not electrically minded john

Maybe you're best calling in a sparks; it could get a bit involved from here and you don't want to damage anything.
cant afford sparks,am an oap so either I fix it or its the junkyard,so far a 1995 306 would not start,original code buttons worn out and no beep when pressed,so I tried 0000 and keys beep green light lights when 0 pressed but does not stay on,engine turns over but will not run,after 2 or 3 trys the battery looses charge,had it checked and they say its good But I have my doubts,here in spain techs not too reliable,new keypad is 190 euros,will a used one surfice if that is the problem........desperate jonsky