2002 2litre turbo, p0340 nightmare - welsh andy
ok where do i start,lol
have an astra coupe turbo 2002, devolped a rocker gasket leak, but then as well threw up p0340, which is cam sensor related, so bought a cam sensor and vauxhall ( snip, who fitted it isn't really relevant) fitted it for me, as got it cheaper elsewhere, drove out of garage and EML came up, stop plugged in my code reader, and brought up same fault, car was returned to garage, said was probs dodgy sensor i bought,lol. so they will fit and replace a new one.
phone up this morning to discover, that they have took sensor back off as not the prob, and now checked wiring, but its not that
now they aint got a clue, so can anyone help me discover what the prob is as they aint got a clue, yet im gona be left with a huge bill and they still aint solved fault

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/02/2008 at 13:49

2002 2litre turbo, p0340 nightmare - SpamCan61 {P}
A quick Google found this site:-

www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/generic/p0340-cams...p

Which gives some pointers, have they checked the actual output waveform of the sensor?.
yeah thx have looked at that site and possible causes, all they tell me is not sensor and not wiring. so guess they havent done what u said, they say they wont go any further as car is remapped, but thats never been the problem at any other vauxhall ive taken it too.
i think they just cant soarce problem and brushing me off tbh, well what it seems like any way.

btw what is PCM as thought mite have meant ecu as thats a usa site and may have different terms,lol
2002 2litre turbo, p0340 nightmare - Carse
Andy,

PCM stands for Powertrain Control Module which is the engine management ECU.

Carse
2002 2litre turbo, p0340 nightmare - topbloke
i assume that this is the z20let engine ?, did you get a descrition with this code p0340 as there are several variations for that code, 5 in total, cam sensor range/performance,cam sensor signal missing,etc, stupid question i know but has the cambelt been changed/ checked recently becuase if there is to much slack then there may be a missmatch between cam and crank sensor giving false reading and can i assume that the engine will not rev above 4500 rpm (rev limit set by ecu when cam sensor u s)
yeah is z20let, i got code on my reader, but vaux did a tech 2,£60 to tell me what i already know,lol.
i know about the varitions(as below)
cambelt has been checked, was replaced in december. that was 1st thing i told them to check. i have complete readout, include steps 2 take to solve probs etc. but this is whats related to p0340(only put the code, not steps taken to sort prob, as 2 long,lol

no car will rev over 4500rpm

P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
 Engine running
 The control unit cannot synchronise the camshaft signal.
Concerned Terminals:
36 (X32)

Refer to test step :C-12

P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Signal Missing
 Engine running
 Camshaft signal not recognised
Page 23 of 233

Concerned Terminals:
36 (X32)

P0340 - Camshaft position sensor circuit high input
 The voltage at the control unit input (terminal 36 (X80) ) is too high.
 The fault is stored directly on recognition.
Concerned Terminals:
36 (X32)

P0340 - Camshaft position sensor circuit low input
 The voltage at the control unit input (terminal 36 (X80) ) is temporary too
low.
 The fault is stored directly on recognition.
Concerned Terminals:
36 (X32)

P0340 - Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction
 Engine running
 The control unit cannot synchronise the camshaft signal.
Concerned Terminals:
36 (X32)
Refer to test step :C-24

Edited by welsh andy on 06/02/2008 at 02:19

2002 2litre turbo, p0340 nightmare - topbloke
i am slightly confussed if po340 is stored as a present code then the car will not rev above 4500 rpm, Will your car rev above 4500 ?, have the test steps be done ie test step c-12 if so what were the findings pls