1999 5.0 V8 M5 - Throttle Problems - Big-Al
Hi Folks - Sorry if this is a long one but i am a newbie at all of this..

I have a real problem with be 1999 E39 BMW M5 5.0 V8 which apparently the local dealership cannot resolve so I wonder if someone out there may be able to shed some light on the problem. I am currently at my wits end and well out of pocket.

Unfortunately live in Spain and bought a LHD E39 M5 about 4 years ago. It is has full BMW history and has wanted for nothing. Last year the car started randomly losing power - when you put your foot down on the accelerator it will not rev past 2000rpm but if you let go of the throttle and put your foot down again it is fine for a few seconds the goes back to 2000rpm.

The car does not seem to misfire at all but will not rev. It starts fine and idles fine and then all of a sudden it will be all ok again for a random period of time.

I took it to my local BMW dealer who has had the car since last August!!!!(I have had it returned to me several times with the fault still occurring)!! They say there is nothing showing on the diagnostic machine or in the history?

They have changed
Both air flow sensors
All the spark modules (spark leads)
All spark plugs
Some form of ´rev´sensor (situated near clutch housing)

Currently the total cost stands at about £2500...

The fault still occurs and now they want to replace sensors on the clutch assembly, the clutch whilst it?s out and also an ECU. This is another total cost of £2500 - however they cannot guarantee this will work...and I don?t want to spend this money unless they can guarantee this will be the resolve. As you can appreciate I don?t want to waste any more money...

No one at BMW has ever encountered anything like this and I feel that they have lost all interest...BMW (Spain) also refuse to contact M division in Germany which I find a bit strange?

I am desperate to find any answer; I love the car but have lost all faith in my local dealership. Is there anyone who has had anything like this before? Is there anything anyone can suggest....As currently I have spent a lot of money on a car that will not move.

Yours in desperation

Big-Al

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/02/2008 at 10:23

1999 5.0 V8 M5 - Throttle Problems - Screwloose
Al

Only a very brief description of the symptom; but have they changed the fuel filter? Basics first.

What - if any - codes come up?
Screwloose - Thanks for your reply
No i dont think that they have changed the fuel filter and there are no fault codes showing on the diagnostic machine or history..

It last had a service last year (i dont do many miles in it).

This is where the dealership are falling down - they know what happens when it faults but cannot find any record on the diagnostics. They seem to be stabbing in the dark..
1999 5.0 V8 M5 - Throttle Problems - injection doc
BM's did used to have a habit of breaking off little lugs on the flywheel causing various issue's but thie should be traced using a scope rather than new parts. Are the brake lights working correctley? some but I think later models cut the throttle back when braking. Does it have a tow bar fiited if so check the electrics & is the speedo working? EMS uses speedo signal as a reference.
I have in thirty five years had two cars where under acceleration would suck somthing , usually sound deadning across an air intake or intake pipe collaspe & once a bad body repair where the intake hole in the shut panel hadn't been cut out so the air intake pipe butted up to sheet metal!
Alway's worth a look.
Doc
Have they done a cat test? has the exhaust got a partial blockage?
Doc
injection doc
Thanks for the replies I dont have a towbar fitted and the speedo works ok, but I am in the process of checking the brake lights and cats etc.
Thanks again
Big-Al.
Hi Big-Al I think I know what the problem is! I seem to remember this once before on an M5 & it took couple of day's to find. Under the inlet manifold/ plenum chamber there is a central throttle control with two plastic rods that go to 2 throttle banks & I think via a wheel & I reckon one is broken, probably left bank. so what is happeneing is the manifold ports are only opening on one bank! stops it reving & doesn't flag any faults.
I'm pretty sure that will be your problem. thought about it on the way to work, had this I reckon about 6 or 7 years ago in a workshop I owned.
Rgds Doc
1999 5.0 V8 M5 - Throttle Problems - cheddar
The other thing I would check is whether the fuel tank is venting.
Dear cheddar.
Thanks for your information,its worth buying another filler cap.
Big Al.
Dear injection doc
Thanks for the information I will let you know the result when my friend has checked it out.
Big Al
1999 5.0 V8 M5 - Throttle Problems - jbif
Hello Big-Al. Try asking or searching at
www.m5board.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=38

I seem to remember a similar problem having been discussed and solved there a few weeks ago.

Dear jbif
You were right about the web site. Jan 2008 throttle problems etc.
I am just wading my way through them, I didn,t know there were so many faults.

Cheers
Big Al.
1999 5.0 V8 M5 - Throttle Problems - andriusjonkus
Hi Big-Al. I have e39 with 2,5 engine. I have very similar problem with my car (this problem is still there). Sometimes the engine goes into emergency mode and revs no more than 2000 rpm. This is because of the electronic throttle. I don't know what exatly it is (posibly the throttle position sensor near the throttle body) but when the engine goes into emergency mode the throttle valve starts to go up and down about three times per sec. When I hit the throttle pedal, the valve stops going crazy but it won't open and the engine revs are dropping down till 300 rpm. To fix the problem temporarily I rap few times a throttle body with a metal screw driver and the problem goes away for a few weeks. The guy from BMW dealer told me that this is very common problem of most BMW and any car's that is fitted with electronic throttle. This part worns after 10-12 years of exploitation and has to be replaced. I hope it will help. Good luck!!!
By the way you didn't mention about the error on the dash display. Is there any?