205 Cutting Out - Woosey
Hi
I have a Peugeot 205 1.1 XL and it has developed a problem of cutting out, while decelerating and the clutch to the floor all the lights on the dash light up, and the engine cuts out, I have replaced all spark plugs, fuel and oil filters and I have changed the oil, any help would be great

Many thanks

Chris
205 Cutting Out - BrianW
Loose wire being caught by the clutch pedal, frayed and causing a short?
205 Cutting Out - Woosey
Loose wire being caught by the clutch pedal, frayed and causing
a short?

This is the problem, it only happens sometimes, other times its fine
205 Cutting Out - Toad, of Toad Hall.
A mate had both 1.9 & 1.6 205 GTi's.

Both suffered a problem where occasionalyy when taking the foot of the throttle in neutral/with the clutch down the engine dipped below the minimum revs needed to keep it running. Sometimes it would search back up and keep running, sometimes not.

He couldn't find a solution to the problem and just speeded up the tickover in the end.

This was a very common problem and I notice at road Rallies most of the Pug GTi's have speeded up tickovers which suggests they suffered from the problem and couldn't resolve it either.

I don't know if the 1.1 suffer the same but it's worth a check.

Someone with a more useful answer will be along shortly...

--
Parp, Parp!
205 Cutting Out - Peter
On our 205, there is a short in the ignition key assembly, wriggling the key solves the problem. Mind you changing the whole assembly would help but I suppose you get used to things.
205 Cutting Out - Woosey
Its an easy job to change the tickover, so ill try that first, that might explain the problem though
205 Cutting Out - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Woosey,

If your car has a carburettor rather than being injected, the most likely faults are a partially restricted idle jet, or an induction air leak. Check for air leaks by spraying carb cleaner or similar around inlet manifold + carb; if engine note / speed changes you have a leak that needs sorting. Idle jet position + access varies from carb to carb, but is not usually too difficult. If it happens again and again you will have to consider opening carb up to clean internally.

Toad is right about difficulty in setting up consistent idle on early Pug GTi models, but post 93 jobs are all engine management with idle (supposedly)controlled by ECU, and if these stall there is either a system malfunction which needs expert diagnosis, or again something simple like an air leak.

Regards, Adam
205 Cutting Out - Woosey
Its a 1989 puugeot 205, and its not fuel injected
205 Cutting Out - greaserpv
I bet your car also has a flat spot when pulling off ? I know the cure having fixed several in my line of work.
205 Cutting Out - Woosey
I bet your car also has a flat spot when pulling
off ? I know the cure having fixed several in my
line of work.

It used to, so i took the limiter off the engine, means there is no dead spot, i have increased the idle speed and it all seems fine so far
205 Cutting Out - greaserpv
I think increasing the idle speed is just disguising the fault, but I don't know what you you mean by removing the limiter .
205 Cutting Out - Millay
Hey greaspsy any chance of letting me in on the secret of the flat spot, i have a pug 205 and its doing exactly that and sometimes cutting out...

cheers
Millay