MGTF alternative - daf
I am looking to buy a 2 seat open top sports car for £5-8000. I was initially interested in a late model (2005) MGFT as I think it looks great. I have got slight cold feet after posting on this site on even on the MG Rover site and seeing dire reports of unreliablity and expensive repair.
I know the MX5 is probably the sensible alternative, but I just don't like it as much. Is there anything else to look at in that price range. I've had plenty of troublesome old cars (including an MGB for 17 years) and want something more dependable but still fun. I would be mainly a 'summer car' and probably do about 3-4000 miles a year.
Any suggestions welcome
MGTF alternative - Alby Back
While an MX5 would probably be the sensible choice, I would encourage you to consider a Westfield. If this is to be your new summer toy I can promise you that there is nothing else at this sort of price which is quite so visceral and pure. If you like driving in its most connected state there is nothing this side of a supercar or sports bike like the the feel and sound of a well sorted 7 derivative. Try a test drive, whether you buy one or not it will be a revelation I promise !

Wish I still had mine :-(
MGTF alternative - stuartl
As a former owner of a renowned Seven-esque car like Shoespy I can endorse what he says.

I wish I still had mine too but I hope to start a scratch build of another one in the autumn.

MGTF alternative??? Basically anything that doesn't have the K-Series excuse for an engine under the bonnet
MGTF alternative - Avant
Toyota MR2, as long as you don't mind not having a proper boot.

Honda S2000, but I'm not sure whether there would be any around to fit your budget.
MGTF alternative - frazerjp
Im sure if you buy a clean MK1 MR2, you can own it on a classic car policy or with the owners club which offer cheap rates on limited milege.
I once had a ride in one many years ago, very neck snapping accelation indeed, a T-BAR version will be more pricey then a bog standard tilt version sunroof.