VW dealer recommendations - Grease_monkey
Ventura park Sutton Coldfield have quoted me £160 all in for my golfs first varible service and £35 all in for brake fluid chnage. Can someone recommend them or avoid? Next cheapest was VW dealer in Stourbridge £190 for service and £55 for brake fluid change.

Simon
VW dealer recommendations - borasport20
how old is the car - if it is less than two years old, it is unlikely the brake fluid needs replacing.

If it is two years old and this is it's first service, well that is why, as a private buyer, I wouldn't buy a VAG on variable servicing.....
VW dealer recommendations - PoloGirl
Does it have to go to a main dealer? If not, VW Rescue up your way (in Gornal) are great.

Edited by PoloGirl on 01/06/2008 at 12:41

It's still under the manufacturers warranty so would be silly not to plus there is a recall on the radio. Other than VW themselve i would only use Midland VW. As i see it i am more liable to get good will if the car is serviced by VW and something happens outside the warranty.

Simon
VW dealer recommendations - quizman
According to the handbook, the brake fluid does not need changing untill the car is 3 years old. Thereafter it should be changed every 2 years.

What's wrong with the radio?
VW dealer recommendations - cheddar
Prices quoted good. I pay £39.99 inc a Ford dealer for brake fluid change, though is it needed at first service?

It's done on the first service saving me having to take it back when it's exactly 2 years old in November. First service due in 4,000 miles so ringing around now getting quotes and trying to find out which dealers are ok.

Simon
VW dealer recommendations - Avant
As I suggested in the other VW thread, try and find a family-owned dealer if you can, even if they aren't the very cheapest. It'll avoid hassle in the long run.

Edited by Avant on 31/01/2008 at 00:12

>>>It's done on the first service saving me having to take it back when it's exactly 2 >>>years old in November

You do NOT have to have the brake fluid changed untill the car is THREE YEARS OLD.
VW dealer recommendations - Dynamic Dave
You do NOT have to have the brake fluid changed untill the car is THREE YEARS OLD.

But why after that is the recommended interval then every 2 years? Is it that different fluid is used at the factory than at the dealers?
I don't know DD, it says it in the book.

I think that changing the brake fluid every 2 years is very OTT.
VW dealer recommendations - Dynamic Dave
I think that changing the brake fluid every 2 years is very OTT.

That's what Vauxhall's recommendation is, and as it only costs me something like £25 to £30 at a main dealer, it's a pittance to pay for peace of mind.
VW dealer recommendations - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
it's a pittance to pay for peace of mind.

Even more of a pittance, but still peace of mind, when the servicing garage tells you that the b/f is in top order and doesn't need changing (although technically due on a time basis). Kudos to Ford Rapid Fit for honesty and value.

Been a while since I had the Mondy, but still have fond memories of dirt cheap servicing :-)
VW dealer recommendations - PoloLover
< snip >

Please read the guidance on naming and shaming towards the bottom of this post: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=33...4

Thanks

Edited by PoloGirl on 01/06/2008 at 12:43

VW dealer recommendations - lindsayg
I always use a privately-owned garage for all my repairs. They're cheaper, better, more honest and treat me like a valued customer that they know by name.

But recently I had a problem with the central locking on my Golf, and since the remote key was broken too, I thought I'd finally go to a main dealership. I won't name them, but they are massive and style themselves as the most trustworthy dealership in Scotland.

So - in I went to the VW branch and after being kept waiting for three (yes three) hours was presented with an invoice for £400 of work that 'needed to be done'. After much aggravation, several complaints (including one to their head office) and an argument caused by their mechanics telling me something that was incorrect...

... I finally got the repair done simply by replacing the remote key. So it cost me the £150 I was going to spend anyway. None, repeat NONE of the £400 of work they said needed to be done was done. And yet the central locking is fixed.

If I had accepted their word it would have cost me £550.

When I went to collect the key they mentioned to me that the Oil Service light was flashing. I took great pleasure in telling them it was already booked in - at my own garage - for the work.

So, back at the privately-owned business I usually go to - Full oil service including replacing the pollen filters cost about £70. And I didn't get lied to, patronised or treated like an idiot. Bargain.

VW dealer recommendations - bhoy wonder
Lindsayg,

I think I know the dealer you are talking about. They are a disgrace. If you stay in the Glasgow area I would recommend Verve in Dalmarnock for any warranty work they have always been fair with me.