2004 D4D - Flywheel failure - rmd
My 2003 D4D with 46000 miles on the clock has had a vibration, accompanied by a roaring sound similar to a blown exhaust, diagnosed by my Toyota dealer as a failed Dual mass flywheel.Cost to replace £1500 or £2000 if I want the clutch done as well. Only thankfull I took out the extended warranty.Am waiting for Engineer from Warranty Co. to sanction repair.I'll keep you informed.

Edited by Webmaster on 29/01/2008 at 20:42

Update. - rmd
Further to posting of 29th Jan can now report repair has been carried out under Toyota extended Warranty without a fuss.

Connected to the original posting

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 03/02/2008 at 18:19

Update. - Screwloose

That warranty was worth it - might be an idea to get rid of it before it runs out.

[Never thought that I'd say that about a Toyota..... ]
Update. - Spospe
Dual Mass Flywheels (DMF) often figure in Ford Transit problems and the subject crops up regularly in the Transit Forum at: fordtransit.org/

The idea behind the DMF is good (damping out vibration), but the execution seems to cause problems, irrespective of the manufacturer.
Update. - Screwloose

Transits; Mondeo; Most PSA HDi engines; Shoguns; Toyota Hi-Lux and D4D; VAG TDi; all suffer badly from DMF trouble.

As fitting a new clutch to one is a no-no; it means that clutch changes just tripled in cost.

Solid replacement kits are a very dodgy area; they can feel horrible and cause cam-belt wear problems.