92 2.3 auto erratic tickover - MW
1992, 2.3 automatic, 142,000 miles

Normally runs very well but lately the idle tickover is a bit eratic and rough. It normally runs at about 750-800 revs and is very smooth. Now, it sometimes runs at 550 revs and seems to be nearly going to stall. Starts fine, hot or cold, and the economy is normal at 25-6 mpg in town, and 31 on a run.
I have serviced it with petrol tank injector cleaning fluid, new airfilter, and plugs. There was a little improvement, but it is has now returned. It is only ever present for about 30% of the time.
Any ideas?

engine and year in subject line HOW HARD ?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 02/02/2008 at 12:02

92 2.3 auto erratic Tickover - Number_Cruncher
Poor tickover but otherwise OK might be an air leak.

It may be worth giving the injectors a wiggle while it's ticking over to check the O rings.

Is this a K or a KE jetronic equipped car? If KE, does it have a rotary idle actuator rather than an auxiliary air valve? Could the idle actuator be sticking?

Number_Cruncher
92 2.3 auto erratic Tickover - MW
Thanks for coming back.
Not sure which type of actuator. How would I find out?
What is/does an actuator do?

Edited by MW on 27/01/2008 at 15:08

You're looking for some pipes that bypass the throttle valve.

On older systems, you'll find an auxiliary air valve - a simple bi-metallic device that allows more air through when the engine's cold. On such a system, the tick over will be adjusted by a screw somewhere near the throttle plate.

On later systems, the idle speed is computer controlled, and there's no adjusting screw near the throttle, and a more complex valve in the same place that the auxiliary air valve was.

I'm not sure what you'll find, I haven't done much with Mercs at all, but I think you'll find some flavour of K or KE jetronic. The injector O ring suggestion is valid which ever system you have.

Number_Cruncher
Forgot to say, there'll also probably be a throttle position switch on the throttle body. If there's an idle speed control actuator, it will need the throttle switch to signal idle before it will work. Making sure the throttle cable isn't too tight, and that the switch is actually switching (an easy job with an Ohm meter) will be worth checking.

Number_Cruncher
92 2.3 auto erratic Tickover - jcarrion
Yeah .. I still remember the same simphtoms

Tbhere is some electrically operated air bypass at the theottle body , to compensate for different engine loads , aircon on or off , etc..

mine was definitely fawlty , with very funny idling ,stailly etc.

I simply removed the part , adjust the iddle a little bit higher simply by thigtening out the throttle cable , and -2 years later- still perfect .

Edited by Webmaster on 11/03/2008 at 02:15

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have a look.
Given the age of the car, the mileage, and the fact that these parts have probably never been disturbed, is it likely that the parts are gunged up, and a clean with carb cleaner could revive them?
It runs OK for some of the time.

Edited by MW on 28/01/2008 at 16:23

92 2.3 auto erratic Tickover - 659FBE
Look for a couple of pipes about thumb thickness which bypass the throttle butterfly. If you have the later system, these go to a rotary idle control valve which has a motor which looks a bit like a toy train/screenwasher motor (plated metal body). It doesn't go round and round though, it's a two phase device which positions a segment valve under closed loop control to set and maintain the idle speed. I seem to remember Bosch called it an "IAC" (idle air control?).

These are prone to sticking - a dose of carburettor cleaner through the valve ports might give you a clue, but normally they need to be replaced.

Thanks for that. Any idea of the cost, and ease of fitting?
Dead easy to fit - check exact type and price with German Swedish & French.

92 2.3 auto erratic Tickover - drivewell
Check (or just replace) your injector o-rings first. Yhey should cost next to nothing, and they don't last for ever.
I had the rotary idle control valve out today. In and out in about 50 minutes. It is held on the 4 cylinder engine in a rubber sleave that simply is a wedge fit in front of the most backward pipes in the inlet manifold. Two air pipes are push fit in the top and bottom of the unit, one from the rocker box, and one goes into the bottom of the throttle unit. Very tricky to get out because of lack of space and the fear of snapping some fuel injection gear if ham-fisted.
Cleaned the unit out with carb cleaner and then WD 40. It was pretty clean, but the rotor was solid, open about 3 mm, and would not turn. Not sure if it has to, until the electric motor is energised.
Anyway on start up all normal, except the revs now drop to zero.
Checked one of the air pipes had not come off, but all OK.
It is now at my local independant garage, who are pretty good, and will gas test it etc, and hopefully fix it.
Will update.
You have probably found the problem. The rotor should be free and actually flops around if you shake a good unit. There is no return spring - the ECU positions the valve by adjusting the differential currents through the two sets of windings, rather like an analogue wattmeter.

The rotor was solid, could not move it with a screwdriver. I guess that the smooth componant only needs a small electric motor to turn it a bit more open, or a bit more closed. It is after all only allowing or cutting off air.

Edited by MW on 30/01/2008 at 18:46

UPDATE
The garage relaced the rotor control valve, and she now runs like a dream again, very smooth, with a rock solid tick-over at 750+ revs. It cost about £165 but my local independent gave a bit of discount at £115 + £60 labour and it also fixed a rattle on the exhaust heat plate, + vat = £205. It is a very straight local garage, yet stuffed with new analysers etc. A world apart from the cold expense of Mercedes who seem to need weeks before they can order anything. Our local Eurocar parts supplied and delivered the Bosch unit in 30 mins to the garage.
Thanks for all the advice.
Well done and thanks for closing the thread. It's always useful (and sometimes gratifying) to know the outcome of these problems.

92 2.3 auto erratic Tickover - 900SS
Hello from a new member!

I have similar problems with my car. I have changed the regulator but I cant help thinking that it was mounted the wrong way from the workshop. The fuel distributor has been changed and the car idled at 3000 rpm when I got it back. They said it was the regulator but that they didnt have any in stock.

I got one from another car today and it fits much better the other way round than the way the old one was fitted. She idles very slow around 400 rpm, erraticly.

Its the type with two electrical connectors and an arrow on one of the two pipes. Now its fitted with the arrow pointing down into the tube going in the manifold under the fuel distributor.

Its a 1990 230 TE by the way.

So, which way should the arrow point?

I'll put it with the arrow pointing up and go for a ride to get the engine hot and see what happens.
I did not think they could be fitted the wrong way around. On mine the electrical connection faces sqaure on to the drivers front wing, i.e. right