Which would you buy? - lucyandneil
My wife is due to give birth to our first child in May, so we need another car.

She's not a very confident driver, and wants something pretty small.

Other requirements are that it must be 5dr, and we have a budget of £3,000. Obviously it would be nice to get as new a car as possible (lowest mileage).

I've had a little look through Parkers, and came up with the following choices:

Kia Picanto
Daewoo Matiz
Fiat Panda
Ford Fiesta (the one that was discontinued in about 02)
Hyundai Getz
Nissan Micra
Toyota Yaris

Would have loved a Honda Jazz, but they're too pricey!

Anyway, if you have any opinions on the above, or any other suggestion, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers
Which would you buy? - Pugugly {P}
Skoda Fabia.......get a 1.4 16valve or a diesel.
Which would you buy? - cheddar
Kia Picanto No!
Daewoo Matiz No!!
Fiat Panda No
Ford Fiesta Possibly, very good petrol engines.
Hyundai Getz No!!!
Nissan Micra Ok for Lucy though not for Neil!!!!! ;-)
Toyota Yaris Possibly, chain cam an advantage however .....

..... my vote - Clio! Ours is great, much reliable than a friends Yaris despite being also much better equipped so more to go wrong.
Which would you buy? - oldnotbold
Don't get hung up on low mileage. A £3k car of this size should have done upwards of 50,000 miles, and I'd rather have a 70k miler than my MiL's Polo which does 3 miles a week, all in 1st/2nd gear in the town.
Which would you buy? - gordonbennet
Kia Picanto No!
Hyundai Getz No!!!
Nissan Micra Ok for Lucy though not for Neil!!!!! ;-)

Do you mind if i ask what you have against these 3 small cars Cheddar, i would have thought the getz in paticular with its 5 year warranty would have been a decent enough little car.

My sons experience of hyundai has only been good, he coudn't break either the accent or the coupe when he was younger, and that really is a credit to those cars.

Whats wrong with a micra for instance, it may look a bit odd, but was a nicer and easier car to drive ever made, or a more reliable one come to think of it (older shape i'm thinking of don't know diddly about the new model), for a not very confident driver the micra is a lovely drive with loads of visibility.

Which would you buy? - deepwith
New shape Micra is very easy to drive, excellent visibility and masses of room inside.

I would suggest you go round dealers and test drive - we started out with a list like yours and quickly crossed some off when we experienced driving them (I really disliked the `matiz', for instance).

It is important to ignore cars with only two doors once you have baby with you.
Which would you buy? - Red Baron
Try the cars out. Take with you a car seat and even the pushchair.

1. Boot as big as possible - really needs to accomodate a pushchair/pram.
2. Access to the rear seats to fit child seat and baby/toddler/child into it. A 3-door where the front seats slide forward after tilting is quite acceptable.

I had a picanto as a courtesy car. I never found the boot - it was so small.

I would go for a current shape Fiesta. New enough, big enough boot, should easily be cheap enough to buy and insure and run, plenty of choice.
Hi guys, thanks for the replies! Lots of information to digest.

With regards to some of them....

I (Neil) have no issues with getting what might be termed as a girly car. I'm almost never going to be driving the thing, so thats really not a problem.

The car seat is a valid point, but we're more likely going to be getting the car, then testing out different car seats in it, not getting a car seat and testing it out with different cars!

Regarding the Fabia comment, well that was our last car before we got our Bora (which is lovely). It was perfectly reliable up until the end, where we were advised t get rid instead of getting it fixed as there were some major issues with it. It hadn't been mistreated at all, so this came as quite a shock.

We wouldn't consider a 3dr. Lucy will be taking the baby on her own in this car most of the time, and I think it will make it so much easier to have direct access to the baby in the car seat than have to pull the front seat forward.

My brother has a Clio, and has had no problems yet. Although they are on the pricier side of our selection. This is the same issue with the new shape Fiesta. I'd love one, but its pushes our budget past the limit.

We're visiting my borther-in-law this weekend, and as he's a bit of a petrol-head, we'll be asking him for some advice. The only reason I was keen on the Yaris was because it had done well in reliability surveys, and the Panda was car of the year 2004.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, and we'd love to hear a few more if anybody has any.

Cheers

Which would you buy? - Nsar
Our Yaris has been faultless over 3 and a half years, it would be hard to imagine how a car could be easier to drive as well.

I'd suggest it's the pram you need to worry about. If you can't fit it into the boot you're scuppered.
Which would you buy? - SuperBuyer
Can't suggest any cars other than already said, but how about a car where you can turn off the front airbag via a key switch? Then baby can travel upfront, so closer to mum etc...

I'm probably leaning toward the Yaris to be honest at the moment.

The pram isn't such a big issue at the moment. Lucy plans on using a sling mostly, so the need for a pram would be minimal. Also, anytime we travel anywhere together, we'll take the Bora.

The car is purely for Lucy to drive when I'm at work during the day.

SB, do you know any cars that allow the front passenger airbag to be switched off?
Which would you buy? - oldnotbold
"Lucy plans on using a sling mostly, so the need for a pram would be minimal."

Slings don't last too long, babies get too heavy and too wriggly, and they like to see what's around them. Whichever car you get will be too small if you have another child.

I've got three - oldest is quite big though - she's at university.
Which would you buy? - cheddar
SB do you know any cars that allow the front passenger airbag to be switched
off?

Many facelift Clio IIs
Which would you buy? - Avant
I'd have said a Fabia as it's got more room for Junior, but as you've been there already I suggest the Yaris. If there isn't enough room, then go for a Corolla, which is slightly bigger but just as easy to drive.
Which would you buy? - T Lucas
I've done 1000's of miles in Picanto in Spain.Great car,no money,no image,does the job really well.I would buy one based on low purchase price.
Which would you buy? - P E
We've got a Fabia 1.4 16v estate on an 03 plate.

Spacious and nippy, quite fun to drive.
Average 38 mpg through mixed driving
£328 to insure fully comp for the present Mrs P E. (28 yr old, no NCB)

It has broken down, new throttle body required at a cool £570 inc fitting.
Timing belt and tensioner £150 including fitting, (routine maintenance)
The engine uses a litre of oil every 3 months.

Which would you buy? - Bill Payer
Would have loved a Honda Jazz but they're too pricey!

Someone else who aspires to a Jazz! :)

Don't buy the Matiz - it isn't well thought of from a safety and driving dynamics point of view.

People rave about the Piccanto - I wonder how well they wear after a couple of years.

Another possibilty might be Mitsubishi Colt. They're available new (5dr) for about £7000 so presumeably they're pretty cheap used.

We have a 3.5yr old SEAT Ibiza 1.2 (basically a VW Polo in a different body). It's perhaps a little bigger than the some of the other cars mentioned but I like it as it feels quite solid, although it's 3dr, and 3dr cars always feels more rigid than 5dr. This model was facelifted in 2004 (it the mk 4 version) but might just be available for £3K now.

One thing to bear in mind is; who is going to look after the car? if you're going to rely on the local dealership then finding one that's not too far away and that you feel comfortable with, is almost as much of an issue as the car itself.
Which would you buy? - notanotherusername
People rave about the Piccanto - I wonder how well they wear after a couple
of years.

I'm on my second Picanto. First one written off after hitting a motorway signpost set in 3ft of concrete at at least 60mph. Not proud of it but got out alive with just two broken ribs from the seatbelt. The only thing that moved inside the car was the magic tree hanging from the mirror. I felt confident enough in its safety features to replace the car with an identicle one.

Picanto no 2 is a 54 plate, (4Yrs 3M old) now 48600 miles.
Only one minor faults - Vehicle misfiring and low power after 2 years 11 months. Repaired under 3yr warranty. Car towed by RAC to dealership 30 miles away and Hire car provided Free by Kia for the 8 days that the dealership had the car.

Maintainance so far: 4 routine services (non dealership - all under £100 each)
Front break pads replaced (£38)
Timing belt not due until 60K.

Would I buy another Kia? Without a doubt.
Which would you buy? - doctorchris
I can unreservedly recommend the Fiat Panda which in the Active 1.1 form can be bought new for less than £4500. The pssenger airbag can easily be disabled. It has 5 doors and is easy to drive for the most anxious of drivers. My daughter has one and has clocked up nearly 22,000 miles of trouble-free motoring.
Just don't let those secondhand dealers con you, remember, £4500 new so for £3000 you should get a 2 year old car.
Which would you buy? - Nickdm
I second that, doctorchris.

My Panda 1.1 Active is used almost solely by my wife and 2 unruly small sons. Ingress and egress is excellent, and plenty of space inside. Two annual services at less than 100 quid each so far, and no other consumables in nearly 3 years!
Which would you buy? - Big Bad Dave
Nick, did you really call your sons Ingress and Egress. How cool.

I'd second MichaelR's comments and go for something Mondeo sized. Much more metal and a more recent model for your money and baby number two always swiftly follows baby number one, so you'll appreciate the space. The assumption that a driver with no confidence is better off in a smaller car is a false one if you ask me.
Which would you buy? - Alby Back
You will be astonished at how much kit you suddenly seem to need to transport. Notwithstanding assorted family members and friends with their own baggage / kids etc.

My wife kept her Mk 1 Corsa for about 3 months after our son was born. They quickly outgrew it and it was replaced with a Mondeo estate. For about 48 hours she thought it was a bit big but soon got used to it and still managed to fill it.

I would advise you, Lucy, to consider the possibility that bigger really is better !
Which would you buy? - doctorchris
Big car vs small car debate again. I know that my daughter would not cope with a Mondeo, she would find it hard to judge its size and would never be able to park it, especially in the street. OK, maybe in a smash at motorway speed the big car would be safer but drivers of small cars do most of their miles at lower speeds. I drive a Panda as well, mostly in town and would go mental if I had to swap it for a Mondeo. No more sneaking into small gaps, tight parking spaces and the loss of the sheer fun of driving a small car against a wallowing repmobile.
Which would you buy? - Alby Back
Chris - I agree, small cars are fun and if someone wants one for whatever reason then I would not argue that at all. In fact, now that my wife does not need as much room she has gone back to a small car. I was merely pointing out that in our experience having something / anything with more room can be more useful on a daily basis when young children are involved, provided one is prepared to put up with the relatively minor downsides.

However, to gently and respectfully discuss some of your points / objections...........

"Wallowing" .....I would say that may be a somewhat dated description. The days of wallowing saloons mainly came to an end around about the time of the demise of the Cortina. If we continue to use the Mondeo as the benchmark, I think it is fair to say that these are widely regarded as being among the better handling cars available currently.

"Repmobile" .....Again, I often wonder why this description is used to denigrate a car. One of the reasons fleets favour this type of vehicle is because they are actually very good.

"Parking".....At the risk of rudeness ( none intended ) Any qualified driver who would find it difficult to park a normal family sized car may just be in need of some further training perhaps ?

Which would you buy? - CheapNcheerfull
We have a Yaris and a Jazz,

The only thing to watch for in the Yaris is the size of the boot, make sure the buggy you have/planning to buy will fit, in saying that we have as buggy which is around 5yr old and it gets in with no issues but you are not left with much space afterwards. The buggys these days fold to be much more compact ?

With the Yaris you can also slide the rear seat back and fowards if needed.

I have no other issues with the Yaris, our is a 2001 1ltr and was driven to the very sw of France ( 1600miles+ round trip) last summer 2 children 2 car seats and roof box on top no problem although a little tight for space, mind you this year ther Jazz will do that run.

The car is great a town car and if its only the one child ( for now ) then I say it would be fine even on the odd long run, but at times I do think, time for an MPV !!!!
Which would you buy? - Bill Payer
I have no other issues with the Yaris our is a 2001 1ltr and
was driven to the very sw of France ( 1600miles+ round trip) last summer 2
children 2 car seats and roof box on top no problem although a little tight
for space

Golly! I have to say that's an epic trip in a loaded 1L and presumeably without a/c.
Which would you buy? - CheapNcheerfull
Bill Payer,

It's a CDX so has A/C and all the toys, along with a DVD player which thinking of it we did not actually use that much.

Over take all those caravans on the way down the hills and get over taken by them on the way back up !!!!!!!!

I would agree with comments on getting the 1.3, my sole reason for the 1.0 ltr was economy but would probably trade some of it for better performance, but then I hardly use it and perfomance would not be my wifes first interest, in fact she actaully prefers the Yaris over the Jazz, but the only thing better about the Yaris would be the ride quality.

Which would you buy? - Avant
I should have said above - if you do decide on a Yaris, do go for the 1.3. It's much livelier than the 1.0, not much if at all less economical, and good fun to drive. If Lucy isn't very confident, the ability to accelerate out of trouble could be reassuring.

I doubt if a used 1.3 is very much more expensive than a 1.0.
Which would you buy? - midlifecrisis
My wife has a Getz. It's got masses of headroom, is comfy and drives well,(it's just a bit, well, dull!)

It's been 100% reliable and still has two years warranty remaining. (Just coming up to 3 years old). We're looking to change now purely because my kids are 9 and 5, so it's just beginning to get a little cramped.
Which would you buy? - Happy Blue!
The Getz is pretty roomy and probably (after the Fabia) the largest supermini.

Having had three children, I think I can think of two things that are vital when carrying young children in a car: -

You need a big boot for the pram and all the other stuff - at least for the first year, then its gets a little easier. Superminis are generally too small; you must check the pram chassis out in the boot of your favoured car before buying. Golf size is much more practical.

The higher the car, the less you back will hurt as you buckle the child into the back and the less likely you will hit your head on the roof (therefore look at older Honda CR-Vs or which are perfect).

Which would you buy? - barneybear
Midlife
you serious about selling the Getz? I'm looking for a small car for my brother-in-law. a2zbarnett at googlemail dot com
thanks

Edited by rtj70 on 07/01/2009 at 22:31

Which would you buy? - rtj70
Check the dates... he was ready to sell it January 2008!

Email and phone number edited.
Which would you buy? - midlifecrisis
Midlife
you serious about selling the Getz? I'm looking for a small car for my brother-in-law.

thanks

Still got the Getz. Went through a phase of looking for a Focus/Astra about October/November, but got complete apathy from dealers. Car continues to be boringly reliable and just haven't had the impetus to advertise it.

If you would like details/photos, then I'm happy for the mods to pass on my details.

(And for Pugs benefit..I've managed two years with the Peugeot and no desire to change yet (unless that BMW 530d M Sport jumps on me) :)

Edited by midlifecrisis on 08/01/2009 at 09:32

Which would you buy? - adverse camber
My wife loves her Peugeot Partner (a citroen berlingo with a different badge). The sliding rear doors make it easy to sort kids in the back (huge opening).

I would be aware of how big child seats are. In her previous A4 avant (OK 1998 so older model) I could not fit the baby carrier behind my seat. I'm tall and need the seat well back but I was surprised.
You know, the small car/van like the Berlingo is the perfect car for a new mum.
Which would you buy? - stunorthants26
Havent Fiat just launched some small Dobloesque thing called a Fiorino? Saw one outside dealer. Looked more compact than Doblo.
Which would you buy? - Pugugly
A whole year this has been snoozing !! Probably changed his car twice since then !
Thats the problem. Its a pity we can't see the date of first post on the list.
Which would you buy? - Pugugly
I thought you/we could, it must have been dug out on the BR equivalent of Time Team !!

Which would you buy? - rtj70
One you open the thread you can see the dates of all posts. This started on 25 Jan 2008.
Which would you buy? - Mapmaker
Espada. How did you first find the thread? You must have gone otherwise than to the first page.