What tow car ? - peg42
i need a new vehicle to tow my boat and general motoring. i will be towing approx 1600kg. ideally dont want to spend more than about 4k. want good mileage and need to sometimes take 5 people.
people have suggested seat alhambra 1.9 110 bhp, others volvo v 70 2.5 diesel, or even passat but not sure if pull ok, any advice very welcome
cheers

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 25/01/2008 at 17:45

what tow car - b308
Are you going to use it to back the boat down a slipway and into the water? If so a 4x4 is a much better bet than any 2 wheel drive car
what tow car - 1066
those cars seem a little gutless to pull a boat up a slipway.
what about an old pajero etc.
what tow car - peg42
thanks for response, no no slipways always put in by crane
cheers jon
what tow car - injection doc
Omega 2.5td lots of car for little money & heavy too. Auto better than manual. Room for 5 people. BMW engine & GM box & RWD
1.9tdi people carrier may be a little heavy on clutches towing 1600kg. Auto version has very weak auto box.
Pajero may be good alternative . BMW 5 Series heavy & spacious.
Disco if you want to go slow & carry a bucket with you & room for a well needed tool box
Volvo V70 tdi good quick car, touch light on front when towing & rear end not as stable as it should be for a big car.
Doc
what tow car - thomp1983
for a slightly different suggestion i say get an old e34 bmw plenty of good ones around for 500-1k then save the rest of the cash for something else. fairly reliable, still good looking i think by todays standards and for what you want it for id say fairly ideal, get a touring if you need bit more room again. why tie up 4 grand in a car considering what you want it to do, when you could buy something like the e34 skip on depreciation and save the money?

chris