2001 QX A33 - defective key fob - johncyprus
One of my ( two ) key fobs is defective in that it will not "open" the alarm/central locking ( it otherwise works ). Nissan tell me I have to take the car plus both fobs to them for the defective fob to be reprogrammed. Now always ready to save a buck, I wonder if anybody knows if this is a job you can do yourself. Thanks in anticipation.

{year added to subject header, as per the ignored request to do so!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/01/2008 at 10:20

2001 QX A33 - defective key fob - Chris S
There isn't any location on your profile but if you're near Birmingham then Rock Autos on Alum Rock Road do replacement Nissan key fobs - they cost £20-£35 depending on whether they can copy the key or have to get the code of the car.

If you're some distance away then I don't see why other motor factors can't do the same.
2001 QX A33 - defective key fob - Aprilia
It not so much coding the key, as programming the vehicle to recognise the key.

There is a procedure which involves operating the ignition switch and courtesy light switches to code the car to recognise the key. Its is detailed in the workshop manual. You could probably get a copy off e-bay for about £5 - well worth it.. Also try a web search..
2001 QX A33 - defective key fob - Phil I
For DIY solution go to the forums on www.maxima.org Its an American site but has all the info you need. Quite complicated routine but no doubt you could find a teenager to show you the way.

Happy Motoring Phil I

ps. also News Group alt.autos.nissan.maxima Useful source of info + advice. Watch out can be heavily spammed at times so have filters loaded and ready for action.
Many thanks for the advice but as yet no joy. Found precise instructions on an American site, followed them to the letter but this only set the alarm off. The key incidentally, on the defective fob works, it's just that this fob will not open the central locking/ cancel the alarm yet will lock the car. Am loath to visit a main dealer, haven't given up yet. Thanks again.
2001 QX A33 - defective key fob - McP
I had the same problem on my 2000 Primera.
Possibly the same type of key?
Like this one tinyurl.com/ywhl75 {HUGE link to ebay shortened to restore page width}

I fixed mine and posted a procedure on Primera Owners club
You should be able to see this without being a member.
www.npoc.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6186

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/01/2008 at 03:45

Primera 97- yes thats the key. Only members only can view the technical pages on the Primera owners Club so unable to view your post. Was your solution the same as I've already tried unsuccessfully ie
"1. Close all doors and lock all doors.
2. Insert and remove the key from the ignition key cylinder more than six times within 10 seconds ( the hazard warning lights will then flash.)" etc etc. I won't post the whole procedure and risk annoying the mods.
Thanks again.
2001 QX A33 - defective key fob - SteVee
Yes, that's the procedure (or part of) that I followed to reprogram a key on my primera.
It is essential that you follow all steps to the letter - this includes the final step:
turn ign on then off to complete.

There's a big step missing from the above - but I guess you know that.
My lock switch was faulty, so I replaced it.

This is what I posted
I fixed my broken keyfob and thought I would share this info.

It is the key with the lock/unlock buttons on it.
My lock button didn't work.

Take the key apart as if you were changing the battery including splitting the fob.
The part of the fob without the battery has a small circuit board in it.
Release 2 the tabs shown in the pic.

I have replaced the lock switch - Circled in green
The switch circled in red is the original unlock one.

The switch I fitted is much too high - About 4mm high. The original Nissan one is only about 1.5mm high.
Even though I have cut the nipple off the inside of the fob it sticks up too far and is easily knocked.

I have since found this one, which is only 2.5mm high
uk.farnell.com/jsp/Electrical/Switches+&+Accessori...3

My job involves soldering, so I didn't find it too difficult.
Heat one leg of the switch and lift the switch up on that side, repeat for the other leg.
It may be necessary to do this a few times to gradually move the switch away from the circuit board.
Place the new switch on the contacts and quickly touch the iron on one leg to tack it into place.
Now solder the other leg, then the one you just tacked in place.

Pics here
www.photobox.co.uk/album/3262964
Primera 97 I've stripped the fob down and I think you've identified the fault. Rather than the key needing reprogramming, ( as the lock button does work ) it would seem that the unlock switch needs replacing. This micro soldering is beyond me so I'm off to find an electrician who will do this for me. Many thanks again to all who helped.
If you can't find anyone to repair for a reasonable price, you can buy the fob new/used on Ebay.

Just need to make sure you get the one
Mine is 433.92 MHz - On the side of the key.