97 3.0 V6 engine interference or non interference? - pinkpanther_75
I've have recently sold both family cars (Honda Accord 2.0 i-VTEC sport / Mk1 Octavia vRS) and have bought a new Roomster 1.9 TDi. I've decided to run a "banger" as the second car and have bought a 1997 Toyota Camry 3.0 V6 with 92k miles. It is a 4th generation model (1997-2001) and has a full Toyota service history (last service was a "B" and was carried out February 2007). It is due a minor service this year, which amounts to little more than an air, oil and filter change.

According to the service book it is due a cambelt change at 90K miles. I have read that this engine (1MZ-FE) is a "non interference" design and I am therefore tempted to ignore the cambelt, as failure should not result in major engine damage. Can anyone confirm if this is indeed the case, and if not advise how much it should cost at an independent garage. The Toyota main dealer I asked today quoted a not unreasonable sounding £250 to change the belt.

Many thanks.

engine and year details put in subject line for the 8,000,453 time !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 23/01/2008 at 20:07

97 3.0 V6 engine interference or non interference? - bathtub tom
Try this site:
www.familycar.com/CarCare/GatesFrame.htm
Thanks for the link. I've downloaded a copy for future reference.

Ufortunately this engine is listed as an interference design in the Camry, but "non interence" when fitted to a Lexus ??
97 3.0 V6 engine interference or non interference? - Screwloose
Sean

AD says interference; 63K/5yrs change; 2.1 hours book.
many thanks screwloose. I guess at 2.1 hours it is a somewhat simpler job than in my old Octavia 1.8 20v.
97 3.0 V6 engine interference or non interference? - Ruperts Trooper
I don't understand why anyone ignores cambelt replacement, even on allegedly non-interference engines, unless they're carrying out statistical research on average cambelt life.

Why not leave oil changes out to save money as well? Manufacturers recommendations err on the side of caution and oil makers claim miracles.
97 3.0 V6 engine interference or non interference? - gordonbennet
I admire a chap who can call a V6 camry a banger!! Still reckon thats one of the best saloon cars ever. Go on change it, dont risk a good car like that.

To my mind that a good price for the main dealer to supply and fit on a pretty sophisticated large engine, and have the peace of mind of their back up.

If i remember correctly the rover dealer {now spelt correctly} charged me £250 for cambelt change on the 827 with honda engine in '93.

Dont hear of overcharging with toyo dealers (i can hear the disagreements already) , my old landcruiser was 1 hour labour plus 30 odd quid for belt, my mate had to trump up something like £450!!! for his discovery.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/01/2008 at 00:38

I admire a chap who can call a V6 camry a banger!!

Well it is ten years old and comes complete with the sort of fuel economy which renders such cars virtually worthless. I had a Nissan QX a few years back which was a very similar car. That had a very smooth 2.0 V6, but despite being around 50 BHP down on the Camry still only managed late teens MPG around town.

Edited by Seant on 23/01/2008 at 23:07

97 3.0 V6 engine interference or non interference? - Doogal
The way I read it, the Camry V6 engine is non-interference - there's no single asterisk after the engine name. This tallies with what I've read elsewhere.

IIRC, there isn't a hard and fast interval for changing the cambelt on these either [I have one]. Toyota originally suggested 90k, but smaller interval if in severe conditions. Helpfully, mine has a sticker on the cambelt top cover saying when it was last changed - applied by toyota at 60-odd k.

Hope this helps.