1999 316 - Radiator help - stokie_jim
Hi all,

You'll have to bear with me, I'm not too up on the technical names for things! The white plastic below the radiator fill cap has got a slight split in it and so is leaking. Its booked into the garage for a few days time but its been suggested to me that I might need a new radiator. Is this right? Im feeling a bit skint at the moment and could really do without having to shell out alot of money.

Any help would be much appreciated

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/01/2008 at 10:43

1999 316 - Radiator help - christo
Unless I'm mistaken you must be referring to the radiator expansion tank which is separate from the radiator which allows for coolant to expand under pressure when the engine is warm. If there is a crack in the filler neck it all depends how much coolant it's loosing and how often you have to fill it up.
If you only need to fill it up once a week you may be able to live with it for a few weeks, if it's every day then you need a new expansion tank which should not be too expensive.
I'm no mechanic but I've never heard of this problem before, do you know how it has happened?
Alternatively if the cap is on the radiator at the front of the car then you may well need a new radiator, but the advice above applies regarding filling it up etc.

I would refrain taking the car on long journeys until it's sorted.............