MGB GT Rear Seats question - stuartl
Hi, we have an MGB GT that we will use as a 'fun car' in the summer.

Anyone who has owned an MGB knows it has a tiny 'bench seat' in the back which has no seatbelts. Am I correct in thinking that it is fine for small(!) passengers to sit on this bench seat without seatbelts as they were not fitted from new?

Thanks

Stuart
MGB GT Rear Seats question - Ruperts Trooper
Seatbelts aren't required to be retro-fitted to cars that weren't fitted with them from new - I would however be very concerned - the only passengers small enough to fit that seat should be in properly secured child seats.
MGB GT Rear Seats question - Lud
Yes they will be legal and quite all right. Drive carefully though.
MGB GT Rear Seats question - Cliff Pope
Brings back fond memories of student days, with 6 or more squashed into a sports car made for two !
MGB GT Rear Seats question - martint123
Indeed, the good old days before the nanny state stops all forms of motoring enjoyment.
The rear seats may never be used and if it is for a very brief journey.

I had a 'B' in my youth and remember trying to squeeze two girls in the back that myself and a mate had met at a pub : o )

Cant remember if we saw them again after that night!
MGB GT Rear Seats question - Doc
There should be anchor points below the seats.
When I had a B many years ago, I fitted a child seat in the rear.

MGB GT Rear Seats question - MGspannerman
I too had a B roadster many years ago. OK in a straight line, but always had a problem with corners. Now that I am Mr Sensible, why would you want to put small children with no seat belts at risk in the back of a 40 year old piece of technology that doesnt have the braking and handling characteristics of modern cars. Of course you could take a look at a VW Eos?!

MGs
MGB GT Rear Seats question - mike hannon
I seem to remember reading a few weeks ago that latest regulations make it impossible to legally fit child seats in the back of a BGT because of clearance behind the front seats or some such. Maybe an owners' club forum can elucidate.
MGB GT Rear Seats question - bathtub tom
>>I had a 'B' in my youth and remember trying to squeeze two girls in the back that myself and a mate had met at a pub

Similarly with a bubble-car, we even stopped for a hitch-hiker, he was not amused!
One of the girls ended up marrying me.
MGB GT Rear Seats question - L'escargot
Everything of any significant weight in a car should be securely restrained. In the event of a collision loose objects fly about!
>>>>One of the girls ended up marrying me.

.....for your car, naturally...............???!!!! ; o )
MGB GT Rear Seats question - Chris S
You can legally carry passengers but if they're tiny kids who could be easily hurt in an accident you probably wouldn't want to.
MGB GT Rear Seats question - bathtub tom
>>>>One of the girls ended up marrying me.
.....for your car, naturally...............???!!!! ; o )

I'll try to remember to ask her, but I expect she's forgotten by now ;>)