2003 2.0D -H/lamp connector, d/board buzz & r/susp - stuhillman
I've just bought a 2003 2.0D LHD (I live in France) at 72K miles. The car is in excellent condition but has a couple of minor problems (I hope!) that forum members might be able to help me solve. I've owned many Jaguars over the years (3.8, XJ6, XJ8, XJS V12) and generally do all the maintenance and most repairs myself so I'm familiar with just about all the usual Jag foibles. But the X-Type isn't all that much of a Jag (it's the best I can afford in retirement) so a couple of things puzzle me.
1. The right side low-beam bulb and clip connector have completely burned out and fused together. The left hand side shows signs of being "cooked" too. I've made a temporary fix but I'm sure it wont last forever. The Jaguar dealer wants to sell me the complete front wiring harness - no, I didn't dare ask the price - instead of a 50p connector. Anyone else had this problem? Cheap solutions?
2. There is a constant low-level buzzing sound from under the dash, next to the steering column. I assume it's a cabin temperature sensor, or similar, but should it buzz like that? It comes on once the door is opened, is on all the time the car is occupied, and only goes off after a prolonged period when no one has been in the car, or opened a door.
3. Rear suspension. On slightly rough roads, the rear end gives off some knocking sounds - not too loud, but definitely shouldn't be there. I've looked underneath but all the suspension parts seem to be in good shape although the lower shock-absorber mounts could be at fault. Has anyone experienced this problem or could suggest a solution?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 19/01/2008 at 15:19

2003 2.0D -H/lamp connector, d/board buzz & r/susp - injection doc
Hi
I'm sure you could find new connector kits or snip a couple off at a breakers yard & solder into place. Lucas used to make a 3 way connector to replace burnt out ones so may be they now do the two way ones.
I would check the headlamp bulbs as it sounds like they have had high wattage bulbs fitted.
If you get a quiet buzz it could be the fan for the temp control you can hear running as they get noisy when older! it draws air over the temp sensor for climate control.
the knocking at the rear will most likely be rear anti roll bar rubbers worn, dodle to change if the bolts come undone or rear suspension arms
Doc

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 19/01/2008 at 17:02

2003 2.0D -H/lamp connector, d/board buzz & r/susp - stuhillman
Excellent advice - thanks. I don't know if the old bulbs were the wrong type but I just fitted the correct spec H1 (55W) bulbs so I'll see how long they last. The buzzing sound is surely what you suggest and I'll check out the anti-roll bars tomorrow. Many thanks.
2003 2.0D -H/lamp connector, d/board buzz & r/susp - injection doc
Sorry I mean't to add that if its the fan running it will continue for about 30 mins after you switch the car off.
Enjoy.