Mercedes Service Contracts - Ubi
I am due to test drive a new C Class 220CDi Auto this weekend before making a purchasing decision. I'm one of these alarming people who calculate things down to the last ha'pence over a hundred years. To try and accurately forecast my entire motoring budget for the next five years I've been considering entering into a Mercedes Service Contract.

Alas, it seems from the MB web site that the one thing nobody frequently asks about these is the trifling matter of how much they cost.

Anyone enlighten me ?

Related to this car, I've read about ten reviews from LA, Sydney and the UK on this C Class. Four of them say that engine noise is intrusive. Anyone here have any input on that, or other relevant experiences to share?

Thanks, brilliant site. Redresses the information imbalance.
Mercedes Service Contracts - Bill Payer
The dealer wil be able to quote. Cost depends (obviously) on expected mileage.

MB have 2 schemes; Service and ServicePlus.
Service covers servicing(!) and ServicePlus adds wear and tear items like brakes pads & disks.

There are, in theory separate schemes for cars 0-3yrs old and for 3-6 yrs old. max age is 6yrs, and max mileage is 120K.

There's a lot of discusion about ServicePlus on the MB forums. For cars 0-3 it doesn't seem a good deal - unless you do high mileage the car should only need routine servicing and should alternate betweeen an A service at about £250 and a B service for about £450. Maybe you'll need a set of pads and disks in that time - depends on your type of use. MB's pricing doesn't seem to adjust for the fact that the car is in warranty (see below)

For cars 3-6 yrs old it seems reasonable value mainly because (so far) MB's interpretation of "wear and tear" has been very broad. It would seem that if virtually anything goes wrong with the car then ServicePlus will pick up the bill. It also covers the MOT and any repairs necessary to pass.

Therefore what many MB owners do (and indeed I did) is to take out ServicePlus shortly before the car is 3yrs old. I did it 3mths before as I don't use my car much and I thought they would want to replace the rusty disks at MOT - there a 3mth wait after starting the scheme before it will pay for most things.

Take it for as long as possible as the cost is fixed and it can be cancelled with max 3mths notice.

As for cost, my C270Cdi had done 30K when I took the scheme out and for 12K/yr for 3 yrs it costs just under £80/mth inc VAT. I don't think that's cheap, but the MB warranty would cost almost that much, and ServicePlus would appear to give similar coverage AND it pays for servicing etc, that the warranty obviously wouldn't. I may well lose out on the deal, but it wouldn't take much to go wrong to produce a pretty huge bill. I'm buying peace of mind, really.
Mercedes Service Contracts - Avant
"For cars 0-3 it doesn't seem a good deal"

Agreed - it isn't.

Depending on cost, it can be good value for cars needing servicing every 10k or 12k miles, like my current Golf: but I paid £61 per month for 18 months (so £1,098) for the previous Mercedes B-class, and all I got in 29,000 miles was one short service (at 19,000 as required by the car's computer) and two front tyres.

Even if I could have put up with the sluggish, droning tractor for the full 3 years, that would have been £2,196 for 2 or maybe 3 services and six new tyres.

Edited by Avant on 18/01/2008 at 23:45

Mercedes Service Contracts - ForumNeedsModerating
If you must have an M-B...

The previous 2 posters' examples should tell you what you need to know - it's for mugs.

I've got a c270 also - I keep up the FD service schedule for residual value & Mobilo benefits, but wouldn't dream of writing a direct debit to MB for the vastly uneconomical service contract.

Over 5 years (of course dependent on mileage - but assuming 15K p.a.) you wont need much more than standard alternating A/B services + tyres/disc pads. (assumes tyres last 18K & pads 20+K miles) So, max. £650-700 p.a. averaged out - maybe less.

Use cheaper generic franchise for tyres/pads.

Re my previous post (above) - on re-reading it sounds/reads as rather rude - sorry, not my intention to the previous posters - just a quick late night scribble without brain engaged by me!

Perhaps I'm a bit jaundiced towards M-B anyway, re their servicing/repair pricing & policy.
The service contract, as described above, has the advantage of the 'peace of mind/one-stop shop' - but from your post, the minute costings may take priority.

Re my previous post (above) - on re-reading it sounds/reads as rather rude - sorry
not my intention to the previous posters - just a quick late night scribble without
brain engaged by me!

There are rumours that the MB scheme is going to change - the 0-3 yr costs are just stupid (the same thing on a BMW 320d would be a one off cost of £900) yet the 3-6 year coverage in practice seems much more generous than MB can possibly have intended. The documentation talks about replacing failed bulbs etc but in practice they seem to cover everything.

I hummed and harred about it for ages, but there are some people on the MB forums who have had small fortunes spent on their cars by ServicePlus. In my case, the COMAND unit (sat nav etc) went a bit iffy. The dealer thought maybe they should change it (cost £3000) all covered by ServicePlus. In the event it seems to be OK, but I'm comforted to know that if it goes wrong they'll replace it.
I know they can be repaired, or I could get one off eBay, but it's all a bit uncertain, and likely to be a lot of hassle.

It's a good feeling when you take in for service, and you're not in fear of the "we've got the wheels off and it needs pads and disks all round" phone call!

One other thing I'd say is don't go for the tyre option unless you're someone who is very heavy on tyres. It's not a good deal and I never like someone else being in control of when I can change the tyres or even what brand is fitted.
No offence taken at all, Woodbines. To an extent I was a mug - firstly for not insisting on a longer test drive of the B200 CDI, and secondly for not checking how often (or rather, how seldom) it would need a service. Of course it varies according to use, but I'd no idea it wouldn't need a service till 19,000 miles.
but I paid £61 per month for 18 months (so £1,098) for the previous Mercedes B-class, and all I got in 29,000 miles was one short service (at 19,000 as required by the car's computer) and two front tyres.

If you have hung on a little longer it would have needed a B service, brake fluid change and possibly pads and 2 more tyres, so you'd have probably been ahead then.

How much would it have been without tyres - I've never seen a ServicePlus price including tyres before?

Edited by Bill Payer on 19/01/2008 at 11:57

I can't remember exactly - I think about £45 possibly.

But generally I agree about tyres, BP. In Reading at least, MB make you go to Slowfit. I'd much prefer to go to an excellent independent supplier, Tyranis Tyres of Reading Road, Woodley, whom I'd warmly commend to anyone in this area. They even repaired a puncture on the Mini - the first time that's happened in 20 years or so. I know that often it isn't safe to do so, but I'm sure that some of the big operators have a poolicy of just saying 'new tyre mate'.

Thinking about it, maybe that's because the fitters are too unskilled to make that sort of judgement, so management plays safe.

Sorry - that's gone off the German taxi topic slightly.

Yes, maybe I should have hung on longer - but the next service was still 8,000 miles away according to the indicator, and I wanted out. Yours is a 6-cylinder diesel and that makes all the difference: also I think the soundproofing in the C-class is much more effective. I had a C220 as a loan car and that was more civilised - either through better soundproofing or the 2.2 engine is quieter.

Edited by Avant on 19/01/2008 at 12:04

No offence taken at all, Woodbines. - ta, appreciated.

Just going slightly O/T - but still on M-B service/repair cost & policy. I had the c270 MOT'd yesterday - no problems, just an advisory about 2 tyres near the mark. In contrast, the last service in 09/07, the M-B dealer (owned I believe by M-B) advised work with a cost of ~£600 to fulfill the MOT test (excluding tyres). The 'A' service itself came to £450-odd - inc. brake fluid change.
They also charged me in the service for adjusting a front wheel bearing (£48 or 0.5hr @ £96 ph labour) which wasn't done correctly (the play was still 'feelable' back home) , so I used a (0.5hr @ £30pph) local indie to re-do it.

I've lost faith in the original M-B dealer - so didn't even bother going back to complain & get the job re-done - my time's worth more than the cost. Good luck to those who have better experiences than me, but as I said earlier, I'm rather jaundiced in my attitude as a result.

OP - if you like M-B's, pls. ignore these ravings!

Mercedes Service Contracts - Number_Cruncher
>>(the play was still 'feelable' back home)

If it's anything like the older Mercs, the front bearing play should be so slight as to be nearly imperceptible. In practice, the only way to get this right is to use a dial gauge. Virtually no-one does, so most of them are badly adjusted.

Number_Cruncher
Mercedes Service Contracts - Number_Cruncher
>>play should be so slight

Just looked it up for a W124, the clearance should be between 0.01 to 0.02mm - in old money, that's between 4 tenths and 8 tenths of a thou. I would like to see anyone set that up by feel alone and get it right!

Number_Cruncher
>>play should be so slight

I used to cycle quite 'seriously' & did (..and greatly enjoyed!) all my bike's maintenance - it's a real pleasure when you've got high-quality components to fiddle with.

Anyway, one exquisite part of the schedule (..and usually last to be done in sequence) was adjusting wheel bearings (I persisted with loose bearings - although some I'm sure had taper roller types) - the correct 'by feel' adjustment was inidcated by the merest sliver of movement (felt with breathe held!) coupled with the test that when the wheel was rotated on the stand, it came to rest in a rocking movement with the valve at the bottom of the wheel - like a pendulum slowly losing momentum.
Some serious food for thought here and on the MB forums to which one poster referred me.

I'm glad I asked this before making a purchasing decision. MB service costs are clearly significant amounts of money. That would be acceptable if reliability was copper bottomed. But the anecdotal evidence suggests that MB is at least as prone to mechanical, corrosion and electrical failure as most of its peers, and perhaps more so than some of them - Lexus, for example.

On top of these considerations some reports suggest that the 220CDi is noisy and that the auto box is coarse and well past its sell by date.

I will be very circumspect on tomorrow's test drive. Incidentally, what a precious pink fluffy dice the salesman is.

Thanks again.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/01/2008 at 21:09

Mercedes Service Contracts - gordonbennet
Ubi, do not mention on the those forums that lexus could ever hold a candle to merc, you'll never hear the end of it.

I had a quite heated discussion there not so long ago about this very thing.

Glad you've got open eyes and not blinded by any badge nonsense.

Let us know what gems about superiority and quality the salesman comes up with, we're in need of some humour.
Ubi do not mention on the those forums that lexus could ever hold a candle
to merc you'll never hear the end of it.

If the OP's requirements are for a diesel auto, then Lexus don't have one. I reckon the Honda Accord diesel would do very well as an auto too.
Mercedes Service Contracts - gordonbennet
Bill Payer, you're absolutely right, and why Lexus didnt stick a proper (3.0 or more) diesel auto in their cars is beyond me.

Wonder if they might stick the new amazon diesel in the bigger lexxi? Would that be a good plural for lexus's?
Mercedes Service Contracts - Aprilia
A 220CDi auto is not the greatest drive in the world, but its OK. Personally I would not spend my own money on one, but there you go.
I don't see the value of the MB service plan in years 0-3. The standard service costs are very predictable (unless you are doing astronomical mileage) and less than the service plan.
After year 3 I would re-evaluate the situation - personally I would recommend a private owner to opt out of dealer servicing and use an independent. These are relatively straightforward cars to service.
Is it established beyond doubt that independent servicing does not invalidate the manufacturer's warranty? Forgive my ignorance on this, please.

Out of interest, which of the (auto) C Class models would you recommend as the best compromise of dynamics, performance and economy? Or would you even suggest the BMW 320d?

Thanks.
Mercedes Service Contracts - Aprilia
Is it established beyond doubt that independent servicing does not invalidate the manufacturer's warranty? Forgive
my ignorance on this please.

Yes - provided that they are a VAT registered garage and use 'matching quality' replacement parts (in practice just use parts from the dealer). This in enshrined in BER.

Being pragmatic, I would recommend that customers who are not mechanically-minded should stay with the dealer until warranty expires. At that point go to a good independent.
Thanks again.

"customers who are not mechanically-minded" - that's me! I just want to turn the key for the next five years.
Being pragmatic I would recommend that customers who are not mechanically-minded should stay with the
dealer until warranty expires. At that point go to a good independent.

With MB, dealer servicing (at any age) renews the MB Mobilolife warranty. Mobilo's value depends on your circumstances, but it provides full European breakdown and recovery, immediate free hire car etc etc. I know a fair number of owners think it's worth getting the car dealer serviced just to keep the Mobilo intact.

Dealer servicing on an MB is never going to cheap, but my local dealer (MB Chester - I assume the sam applies to any Inchcape owned dealer) will do A services for £200 and B services for £329 on most models. And that's on any age car, it's not limited to 3/4+ etc. So if you reckon even full UK breakdown and recovery could cost £100 then it's hard to argue with.

Edited by Bill Payer on 19/01/2008 at 22:30

Mercedes Service Contracts - cattleman6
Bill Payer.
As you know I am normally a Mercedes fanatic. However I was extremely impressed with the Honda Accord automatic I hired and drove in all sorts of conditions.The car was very well put together and there was more head room etc in the back of the Accord.Nice leather seats also. I adore the E Class Mercedes; but the new C Class has a disapointing back seat. Upper back support seems to have vanished also my head was almost touching the ceiling. As I say the E Class is a far better car as you have a better ride etc and much more room and better interior finish.The Lexus IS is lovely; but rear passenger space is even more limited.
"Or would you even suggest the BMW 320d?"

Personally I'd have an Audi A4 or A6 (depending on the size you need) in preference to either - but that's just my own subjective choice. I wanted to like the 320d but couldn't get on with the gearchange and the driving position: if those suit you you'll like it a lot. The C-class has more room in it than a 320 - not sure of that's important to you.

At that price level it's essential to get long test drives - but I'm sure you're doing that already.
I've had the A6 2.8 Quattro from new for almost eight years and I've always been happy with it. I'm just concerned now that I'm sitting on a time bomb for a new auto box or other major repair way beyond the value of the car, which I'm told is now about £4k. I'm not at all mechanically minded or "handy" so a breakdown would be a huge disruption.

Having said that, it's only done 37K miles from new and has been slavishly over-maintained. But there are already some intermittent problems with the central locking control unit and I wonder what's next on the agenda.

Reviewing my post, it's meandered a bit but it sets the context for why I perceive a need to change.
I had the test drive today.

The C220CDi has a better auto box than I had been led to expect. The changes were imperceptible. Felt very solid and well screwed together. Don't recall any rattles. Subtle heft to the minor controls gave them a quality feel. Supple suspension effortlessly absorbed road surfaces which the local council has stopped maintaining. Steering possibly a little more assisted than I'm used to. Top quality sound from standard radio and speakers.

No vibration in the cabin from the four banger diesel but noise levels quite intrusive, particularly at idle and at wider throttle openings. I'd soon get sick of that generator drone. Looking at a five year projection I'd be better off with a (hopefully quieter) petrol engine anyway. Turbo lag could make town motoring hard work, and occasionally alarming, I felt.

My wife spotted the Artico faux leather immediately. It does look more like rubber than leather, I must say.

Not entirely put off then if a way can be found to avoid being gouged for servicing and maintenance costs over the long term.
Turbo lag could make town motoring hard work and occasionally alarming I felt.

That really shouldn't be an issue with an auto. You didn't notice if the auto-box was set to standard (sometimes called sport) or comfort, did you?
Comfort starts the car in 2nd gear (both in forward and reverse!) and pick up from rest is "liesurely"! It shifts up at lower speeds too.

Thanks for the other feedback. I've seen few around, but it's apparently selling well in the UK and in other markets.

Edited by Bill Payer on 20/01/2008 at 18:32

There is more than one reverse ratio?
Mercedes Service Contracts - boxsterboy
Only with the 7-speed 7G-tronic box, I believe. That's fitted to the C320CDI.
The 5 speed box also has 2 reverse gears.

Starting in 2nd gear is also used in slippery conditions, so it's as necessary backwards as forwards.
Mercedes Service Contracts - D9DRIVER
Thats correct,i have E220 cdi with sport and winter settings,(now S&C)the winter setting allows it to set off in 2nd gear forwards and reverse,and changes gear quicker.
Mercedes Service Contracts - colin_thames
(I know this a year on, but hope my comments might still be helpful to you or others)

I agree with the comments about the first 3/last 3 years, though the Service Plus seems to be more comprehensive than the warranty. My last MB - a CLK convertible - had constant problems with the windows not closing properly. My MB dealer made adjustments but claimed that these were not covered by the warranty. Only 60quid each time so not worth arguing about but I got a bit fed up after the third time in 6 months. If I'd had Service Plus they would have been covered.

Since then, I've had an E200 on a MB service plus contract, after the warranty expired. Unfortunately the dealer only told me about the contract after an unexpected big bill when the mirrors and luggage cover stopped working after 40 months. Mercedes coughed up half but I still had a bill of £350.

Now for £75 a month I have had total peace of mind and have avoided some more big bills, eg:
Dismantling & replacing split rear-wash tube plus flooded alarm system relay - £800+
Rear shockers at 80k miles - £800 +
Split fuel system pipe - (3 hours labour, so about £400?)

As previously mentioned, the Service Plus is only a bit more expensive than a warranty and covers much more. You get a full MBSH, warranty, MOTs and recovery for about £800 a year. My local MB specialist was only £30 an hour cheaper than MB so going outside won't save that much. And if my gearbox fails or, more likely, some electronics I can book my car in without the prospect of a heart attack.

The only thing that worries me if what happens when I exceed my predicted mileage, which I will...

My suggestion would be to take out the service contract after 3 years but make sure you do it before the warranty expires. And make sure you are realistic about the expected mileage rather than skimp on the monthly cost.

Edited by colin_thames on 19/01/2009 at 12:10

The only thing that worries me if what happens when I exceed my predicted mileage
which I will...

MB apparently estimate your final mileage based on historical readings each time the car is taken in and send you a bill at the end of the contract.
My suggestion would be to take out the service contract after 3 years

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, MB have indeed now discontinued ServicePlus. They only offer a much more limited program now (similar to BMW's but much more expensive) and it has to be taken out from new.

Edited by Bill Payer on 19/01/2009 at 17:15