Driving in Argentina - Big Bird
I had the good fortune to be sent to a week?s conference in Buenos Aires last week.

I thought the back room might like to hear something of the differences in the driving experience.

Despite the economic crash the ?car fleet? is pretty new and largely European in nature with a sprinkling of ancient Peugeots and Ford Falcons still on the road.

Trucks are a different matter with anything from US extra long semis to 40 foot flat beds hauled by modified pick up trucks. Some trucks are in terrible states with half shredded tyres, shattered windscreens and plywood ?extensions? common place.

Driving style is very different and would be considered appalling by us.
If there is a single left turn lane they think nothing of squeezing in either side to make three lanes to make sure they make the turn on the next light.
Under taking and weaving on the autopista are often seen, with inches of clearance when cutting back in.
When the road narrows they jostle for position right up the last second.
At city intersections cars and trucks often block the entire junction if their exit is not clear (No yellow box junctions).

However ? there is no aggression, no coming together, no beeping of horns. They just make room for each other at the pinch point and get on with it or sit back a smile if they can?t get past.

If this happened in the UK we would have horns, ?shutting out? the other guy and crashes or even fights as a result.

It was an eye opener and I have to say I rather enjoyed it. But then I was a passenger and not having to drive that way.

Off motoring ? BA is a great place. Safe by South American standards (Cops everywhere) and the best steaks I?ve ever had.
Even better it was 28 deg C and the pretty girls were out ;-).

I?ll be looking for an excuse to go again.

Dan

Edited by Webmaster on 18/01/2008 at 10:39

Driving in Argentina - Big Bird
and if someeone can tell me how to post without including the car/category I'd be greatful

(Simple. Don't select it. The requirement for the Discussion forum is that you MUST choose either the Category or Make/Model. Usually the Category choice will suffice. The requirement for Technical Matters is that you MUST choose Make/Model, - the Category field is optional)

Edited by Webmaster on 18/01/2008 at 10:42

Driving in Argentina - ForumNeedsModerating
Sounds like a nice trip. Interesting to me were your comments about 'non-aggressive' aggression. Not wanting to draw ethnic stereotyping too far but, it's something I've noticed too - often the 'Latin' mentality might have the same outward expression of aggressiveness, but unlike the 'Anglo-Saxon' version, doesn't bear the same ill-will or personal slant. As you say, more a shrug of shoulders or 'play-fight' capitulation (or even smile!) in extremis rather than a potential killing rage you might encounter here for mere contravention or 'cutting-up' type driving.
Driving in Argentina - Alby Back
I noticed the same organised chaos in Brazil. Once you get used to it, it can be great fun. A bit like "dodgems" without the impact ! Also urban driving in Italy is similar, the technique there seems to be " don't actually hit anything with your front bumper but otherwise do what you want". Sounds crazy but it works, because everyone is doing the same. Maybe this is why I can't be bothered with using the horn in the UK, being mildly cut up doesn't worry you too much after a bit of "salsa driving " !
Driving in Argentina - Altea Ego
If you want to see the latin driving style without having to go to BA (tho he wouldnt want to go!) I suggets you try Naples. Absolute chaos, horns, shouts, gesticulations, cutting up, driving by "touch", but no one really gets angry and they all seem to have fun.

I soon got used to it.
Driving in Argentina - Aprilia
I think some of you have a rather romantic notion of what happens in some of these places - they have terrible accident and injury rates by north European standards.
A few years back I was in Italy touring the Amalfi coast and Naples. We witnessed a terrible accident in Naples - two cars and a scooter involved. The scooter rider was horribly injured (bare flesh dragged along the hot tarmac). The two drivers involved started fighting and one drew out a short 'dagger' type knife. Fortunately a couple of bystanders held him back - I have no doubt that someone could have been killed otherwise.
Point taken Aprilia, but as you will know Naples is a particularly dodgy crime ridden place and not representative of the majority of Italy. I would not wish to over-romanticise the situation either but I think it's also fair to say that although the driving style may differ in some cultures it often also seems to work in the context of that culture.
Driving in Argentina - Aprilia
I think it's also fair to say that although the driving
style may differ in some cultures it often also seems to work in the context
of that culture.

I'm not sure what that statement means. An RTA is an RTA, no matter what the culture.
I've driven all over the place - most of Europe, lots in US & Canada, NZ, Poland, Russia, Tunisia, Czech republic, Japan etc.
Anglo-Saxon countries, Northern Europe and Japan have been OK. The rest have felt a good deal less safe and I've seen a few accidents. Some of the driving in parts of Italy is just plain dangerous. I also saw a large number of accidents in Poland - some of their roads and drivers are lethal!

I am visiting a company in India (Bangalore) in February so goodness knows what awaits me over there. I shall not be driving though - being provided with a 'driver'.
Ah well ...guess we'll have to agree to differ. I'm off to Italy again on Monday as it goes. I'll try not to hit anything ;-) g'night !
Driving in Argentina - ajit
>
I am visiting a company in India (Bangalore) in February so goodness knows what awaits
me over there. I shall not be driving though - being provided with a 'driver'.

If you are stuck, give me a shout, I live in Bangalore. If you want more tips on Bangalore, pls feel free to email me on amatthew(at)vsnl(dot)com
Driving in Argentina - Altea Ego
Well I drove about 600km around naples and the amalfi coast three months ago. Including from the airport right through the centre of Naples (I thought i would save money on the autostrada. - DOH)

Ok its not like driving in bournemouth, Sure the wife was terrified, mortality and injury rates on scooters must be huge, and some of the driving borders on suicidal on mountain and coast roads, but for the most part every one seems to avoid each other most of the time, and i have to say that after the first hour or so It never phased or worried me. I have seen things just as bad in France.

I have driven in most of western and southern europe, most states in Australia, nearly every state in the US, some Canada, Singapore, Malaysia, Thialand and North Africa.

The one thing that strikes me, is that the UK roads are the safest in the world, mostly because we are the safest most law abiding drivers in the world. And the road safety lobby and the government repay this fact by trying to paint us all as murdering, speeding, drunken drivers who need to be shackled and punished by tighter regulation and draconian penalties.
Driving in Argentina - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
I am visiting a company in India (Bangalore) in February so goodness knows what awaits
me over there. I shall not be driving though - being provided with a 'driver'.

If Bangalore is anything like Mumbai (Bombay) then it should be fun. Spent a week there in November and was very glad I had a driver. Terrific fun as a passenger though, as Rickshaws appear from every angle including straight ahead. Interesting mix of main beam, headlights, side lights and no lights made night travel fun too - approx 25% of vehicles in each category at any one time!

My drivers' mix of Honda City and Ford Fiesta saloons gave them fairly good status on the road, only the Tata trucks and buses could bully them (when it comes to driving in Mumbai, size matters). Pedestrians hit by my driver: count for the week was 3 I think - just hit, not totally knocked down and flattened!.
Driving in Argentina - slowdown avenue
my daughter who is presently living in peru, emailed last week and said she had nearly been knocked down twice by busses running red lights. Must say i agree about naples it must be close to the worst their is.