97 1.8 petrol (?) Stalling engine & ign. light. - ilovesweeties
I have a vectra which is a p reg so I have assumed it is the above.

I've not had it long but a friend helped me to find it and has serviced it just after i got it with all the usual stuff being checked or changed.

I know that the radiator has been changed, oil, brakes and discs and lots of other bits too.

The car after i have driven about 20miles then park and then get back in just after i have started driving again ( i basically drive from work to parents house, pick up son then drive home again) i normally pull into the same road (my parents road) and reverse out. Anyway it has started to stall at this place mainly and then the ignition light comes on. Sometimes it starts straight away but not always I have had to give it some welly with the gas to get it going again. I did think i might have been stalling it myself but i am not.

It done this on the motorway a few days ago. It doesn't give warning and is quite worrying to be honest with the distance and speed that i had to do on the motorway.

I had the radiator replaced as i was losing water.The ignition light came on during driving and didnt go off just before it was changed. I restarted later on my drive back and was fine, no lights.

Today when I went to move it the ignition light came on and wouldn't start till I pushed the gas down. I stopped then tried again and it did the same.

Can anyone give me any ideas, the friend has plugged it into a computer and the car has not logged any faults with it. Am running out of patience with it as it really is costing a lot of money which as a single parent I don't have. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 17/01/2008 at 21:03

Engine is stalling, then ignition light comes on. - Screwloose

The ignition light [the one with a picture of a battery on it?] should only go out once the engine is running. It will come on if the revs drop too low.

It that particular light has been coming on while driving, then suspect a charging fault - maybe the alternator or it's wiring. [Including it's earth.]
Engine is stalling, then ignition light comes on. - stein
Sounds similar to another thread running for a renault megane.

I had a similar problem in a 405. It would stall randomly at any speed, pulling off up to and including motorway speed, wet dry, hot or cold. There could be weeks between it happening. If the car had enough momentum it would bump-start itself but very nerve wracking. On the motorway I felt the car momentarily slow, all the usual lights come on the engine would re-start with a jolt and off we go.

Went to the dealer 7 times, no fault codes no idea. Only concern was that the box that holds the ECU which was at the bottom of the windscreen was full of water. A new ECU fitted by peugeot didn't rectify the problem, it did the same thing puling away from the garage !! Had to get rid of the car in the end.

Another thing that failed on the same car was the idle speed stepper motor, which let the revs drop to zero and stalled the car if you didn't keep you foot on the accelerator when changing gear or when stationary.
Engine is stalling, then ignition light comes on. - ilovesweeties
Hi thanks for the replies. I think the alternator has been changed, also remembered that the cam has as well.

It does seem that it is stalling mainly when still. The motorway one on the slip road luckily.

any more ideas now i have given more details?
yes it is the engine one that is coloured orange.
yes it is the engine one that is coloured orange.

That doesn't sound like the ignition light.

Are you describing the engine management's malfunction indicator lamp? Look up it's function in the handbook.
Which one is the ignition light then?
Right have had a look in the book and it says its the engine electronics it has a lightning strike through it and it is orange coloured when lit up. It doesnt flash.

That's the malfunction indicator lamp. The "ignition" light usually has a battery symbol on it.

So this is stalling at idle? It didn't cut out on the motorway; just the light came on?

What did your friend try and read the codes with?
Engine is stalling, then ignition light comes on. - Dynamic Dave
Petrol or diesel? What size engine cc as well. If petrol, it could simply be a matter of cleaning the idle speed control valve.
Engine is stalling, then ignition light comes on. - topbloke
red with a battery in it , that said if its the orange one with a engine in it with a lightning bolt then that is engine managment if the engine stalls all off the dash lights should come up, usuall culprit is the idle control valve gumming up usually because the breather in the throttle body is blocked, so clean breather in throttle body remove IAC valve clean and refit, clean throttle flap and body if it stills stalls after the above there is a software update for this problem (dealer only) and if its all ready been done then there is a later type IAC valve that can be fitted. ps the pipe that runs from rocker cover/cam cover (the small one) is the one that needs to be cleaned and the hole unblocked in throttle body
Its not the battery one, have seen that before and its not that.

Its the engine management. today all the lights came on but i dont think it does normally.

Hwo much is a idle thing?

It only does this when still and not moving.
Engine is stalling, then ignition light comes on. - topbloke
circa £120 but its no good unless you have done all of the above
Its a petrol and 1.8 i believe.

I will ask him to check the idle thing. Am gutted as i keep shelling out stuff for it.
ILS

TB just gave you some top-drawer, near-priceless, advice on the correct way to check the breathers etc. - and that's from a man well positioned to know exactly what he's on about.

Note it well. That's no idle opinion - that's gold dust.
Hi just wanted to thank you all for the advice. I took it to a friends garage and he plugged in various machines into the comouter and it finally came up with what the fault was and it was the crank sensor so thankyou again to all that gave advice.
Hi sorry me again. After this problem i now have another slight one.

I have looked in the manual already but cant find the answers.

There is a tiny red light which comes on when the alarm is on and flashes on a off happily all night.

Now when i turn the key in the lock there is another light (the man with wiggly lines under it running away) and this is a fatter red light and flashes on and off. Why?

Any ideas guys. This has only just started.
Can you tell us which light is where on the dash? The light above the man with wiggly lines is the alarm light, so I don't understand which other light you're referring to.
I have one light which flashes on the side of the radio that shows that the alarm is working. It is the wiggly man one that is flashing and it is like a rectangle shape rather than a small dot that the radio one is.
its also in the centre column is slightly above the radio section next to the hazzards light.
Engine is stalling, then ignition light comes on. - SpamCan61 {P}
I reckon this is the "anti theft alarm system" warning light / button, rapid flashing for a few seconds after removing the ignition keys means there is a fault with the alarm system, it should stay on for about 10secs. steady, then flash about once a second.

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 23/01/2008 at 20:43

I have one light which flashes on the side of the radio that shows that the alarm is working.

The little light on the radio isn't for the alarm. It is to tell a potential thief that the security code for the stereo is activated and to steal it would be a waste of time. However, the thief knows better than that as he has ways and means to be able to crack the code.

As SpamCan61 says about the other light. Flashing during the 10 second lock up means there is a fault with the alarm or door/boot/bonnet not closed properly.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/01/2008 at 21:24

Engine is stalling, then ignition light comes on. - winstan
I have s reg vectra-just had new £177 in total for air flow sensor fitted-drove car from garage and orange light came on and it was shuddering/pulling??
Went back to garage said now need a new idle control valve-another £140-yet after looking on ur forum decided to get it cleaned by another garage recommended by a friend.
Have had thottle body_idle cv cleaned of build up.

However drove from garage and orange light came on again-engine revving too quick and it started making a scary noise and pulling again? help please-next move?
Really appreciate it.
winstan

Let's start with engine size and engine code X??XE? or similar. It's needed for this fault.
engine type X18XE 1799cc on reg form vectra arctic 16v 1998.

just took it for a test drive and seriously this car is wierd because it just drove 2 miles no probs at all?

What is up with it and will it shudder etc again? cheers

have had car 'read' on meter by 2 reputable garages and they both said it was a faulty air flow sensor-causing probs-prob loose wire or summat.

Went back to original garage who fitted this thing and told them the score.

Am having it replaced (so they say) with another one and my 122£ back. Hows that?