2005 - Electrical fault - Barbara
Briefly, when I got back to the car yesterday, I noticed that the O/S sidelights (back and front) were on, as was the light over the rear number plate. Same happened when I got home but after switching on and off a few times, they finally went out (as did the alarm light.....).

Today, the N/S sidelights are not working, nor the alarm (light at any rate), nor are the dashboard dial lights. The warning lights are OK, ditto the clock, radio and everything else.

Before I book it into a garage, does anyone have any ideas? Could it be something as simple as a fuse?

If relevant, the car's 3 years old (and has recently had a full service.......).

Thanks!

Barbara

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/01/2008 at 21:17

Electrical fault - Screwloose
Barbara

It may seem a silly question; but did you drive through any large puddles just before this all started?

If water gets into the front fusebox, they can do very odd things.
Electrical fault - Barbara
Not silly at all, Screw. Now you mention it, I did - immediately before........

Is that good news or bad?
Electrical fault - Screwloose
Barbara

If - and that's IF - that's the problem, it's a lot better than some other possibilities.

Easy to check; the engine bay fusebox is the black plastic box just outboard of the battery. If there's condensation on the inside of the lid, then water has got in - and a warm hairdryer may get it out again.

The other check that's worth doing is the rubber wiring tube going into the rear hatch; the wires can deteriorate inside it and if water gets in there.....
Electrical fault - Barbara
Brilliant! I think you're probably right. It's a bit of a coincidence otherwise. There was a lot of water lying around yesterday and I didn't see the big puddle till I was right on top of it.

I shall give that a try in the morning and report back.

Many thanks!