Buying advice please - charlesa
Good morning, I have been offered the following in a private sale and would be grateful for advice as to whether it is a good deal:
Volvo V70 D5 estate; 2004, 23,000 miles dark blue with leather. Electric driver's seat. Manual. Full Volvo service history and just been serviced. In vgc except for scratch along one side (estimate to repair £750-1k). Price £12,750.
Many thanks in advance,
Charles
Buying advice please - enough is enough
I cannot remember the exact model but Volvo have an ongoing issue with an engine management unit(i'm sure it was a V70). Its been featured on watchdog with many customers experiencing failure but they still deny any fault exists.

It may just be worth having a look on BBC website at watchdogs page.

Good luck
Buying advice please - slender75
The ETM issue (electronic throttle module) does not affect any of the diesel range and should not affect anything from around 2002 model year petrol models onwards (though you can get the odd anomaly - I've got one!). It is a problem with the Magnetti Marelli component that was subsequently replaced with a Bosch unit. Hope that helps.
Buying advice please - TheOilBurner
Assuming it's an SE model, it's a reasonable deal, but not great. Once you factor in the cost of repairing the scratch, you will nearly be at the price an indy dealer would charge for that car.

Good car though, if you like it I wouldn't be too shy of it.
Buying advice please - Ruperts Trooper
Make sure you test drive it - I found the engine note of the D5 unbearable - loud and unrefined - others have no problem so it's down to personal taste.

Edited by Ruperts Trooper on 17/01/2008 at 09:59

Buying advice please - TheOilBurner
Agreed. Also make sure you're happy with the gear change. Volvo manual gear boxes are quite variable and not to everyones taste.

They are often afflicted by rough changes into lower gears. That requires an expensive strip down to re-grease the splines. It's a problem that tends not to get any worse, but it is annoying and way too expensive to fix to justify sorting it out, over £700 IIRC.

Check for any warning lights and messages on the information display. There may be minor things like blown bulbs, but it's worth paying close attention to it, just in case.
Buying advice please - adverse camber
turning circle - only slightly worse than the QE2
Buying advice please - pd
Not a bad deal. I love the D5 sound and the gearchange improved a lot on the 2004 model cars. The 2004's look the same as the 2003's apart from a new key and silver bits on the dials but are better built and have lots of detail changes.

However, personally, if you don't do a big mileage, I'd get a 50k facelifted model for the same price which seem bulletproof and have a few nice extra touches.
Buying advice please - charlesa
Thanks all, may see if I can get it for around £12k.