1998. 416 model - heating issues - dazrover
Hi
have been proud 416 (r reg) owner for 6 months. have previosly only needed to add air to tyres and check levels etc. around 4 weeks ago car steamed over from expansion tank and got worried , temperature on dashboard said between 1/3 and half, refiled and drove home thought all was well. then couple of days later heater now heater only blows cold. car has had new radiator, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, starter, thermostat, recent oil and air filter change. also after reading through this web site other symtoms have lots of white smoke and water from exhaust at all times and whithe mist and petrol smell in expansion tank when running. also bubbles before boil over usually after 10-15 mins (sometimes more). fan comes on not that much but think may be normal as high running temp? all pipes get hot after around five mins. have removed and checked heater valve ok. I have been told waterpump, inlet manifold gasket, the misterious ball bearing, various sensors, power steering pump?, e.c.u, alternator (had battery problem) and a multitude of other things, i have rave software and a passion for learing about this 16v aluminium gold. anybody able to diagnose or help me to test further to remove possibilties or try tests to conduct the more info i have for this ex dealership mechanic the better he can probably help me the car is wonderfull and although only paid 300 for it would pay over it to fix it properly as beautiful and comfortable to drive
have a t4 man from mg garage on standby for next week shoud i unplug battery or ecu to reset codes before i go to him or leave as same?
i am poor single parent willing to do as directed to check or do work as to try to reduce the mechanics bill, but appeciate quality costs!!!!
please help !!!
Thanks in advance
dazrover

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/01/2008 at 10:12

rover 416 heating issues - sails north
"also bubbles before boil over usually after 10-15 mins"

two possibilities, or now both
1 head gasket has minor leak
2 air is being drawn in from a minor leak elsewhere in coolant system

try not to drive the car from now on till fixed. it sounds as though the HG has a minor leak but you could save yourself extra money on the repair if its repaired before it warps the cylinder head.

your best bet is to ask a mot station to probe the expansion tank for exhaust gases

btw theres nothing to say it wont happen again, either by another coolant leak or failure of the repaired HG

its a ticking bomb with k series rovers, im afraid. buy the diesel

Edited by sails north on 15/01/2008 at 06:41

rover 416 heating issues - Collos25
Headgasget or manifold gasget or water pump if any of these play up it normally blows the headgasget anyway.The water pump is cambelt driven and ceases causing the belt to strip and ruin the engine the headbolts stretch causing the head to go and the manifold gasget just leaks .If rebuilt with modded parts then it will last till it goes the scrapyard but the cost will probably be prohibitive.