Pierburg Carburettor for 318 M10 - allisbmw
I'm having trouble a getting my BMW 318 M10 to idle properly.
When it's warm the engine hunts, like it cannot find its medium. I have recently had the motor overhauled and the mechanic who took it apart did not take note of where the vacuum pipes went thus I'm unable to drive the car until I can resolve this problem as too little REVS causes the car to cut out when approaching traffic lights, etc. Just to mention, the two jets on the very top of the carb do not seem to be working correctly as no fuel seems to ever come out of them. I'm not sure if this is a result of the vacuum pipes not being in their correct positions. Just for a description, it has a big white electric module on the left side if you are standing over the cylinder head on the drivers side. Is it possible you have a diagram of this carburettor that can possibly enable me to return these vacuum pipes to their correct positions? I believe the carb is a Pierburg 2B4 model if I'm not mistaken. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/01/2008 at 10:19

Pierburg Carburettor for 318 M10 - jagclarke
yeah the pierburg carb is a terible carb the automatic choke goes wroung with them eventaually most people change them for a webber. im replacing mine with webber 32/36 at the monent fitting it to a solex bmw intake manifold. this carb doesnt fit the zenith pierburg stud patten hence using the solex manifold as fitted to pre 1980 carb 4cyl models from around early 70's. but you can get a 32/34 webber replacement carb www.fastroadcars.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewProd...2. the revs on mine at idle often flutute occationally stalling if not reved. the choke mecanism is partly stuck on so scrapped its mot emishions this year so thought id fit webber carb. il have a look a vacume lines but really complex on them.

John
Pierburg Carburettor for 318 M10 - irish79
yeah the pierburg carb is a terible carb the automatic choke goes wroung with them eventaually most people change them for a webber. im replacing mine with webber 32/36 at the monent fitting it to a solex bmw intake manifold. this carb doesnt fit the zenith pierburg stud patten hence using the solex manifold as fitted to pre 1980 carb 4cyl models from around early 70's. but you can get a 32/34 webber replacement carb www.fastroadcars.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewProd...2. the revs on mine at idle often flutute occationally stalling if not reved. the choke mecanism is partly stuck on so scrapped its mot emishions this year so thought id fit webber carb. il have a look a vacume lines but really complex on them. John

hi John,

i am looking to also put the 32/36 weber on my m10, could you tell me the product number, and what solex manifold will fit this carb..

thanks so much,

Mark

Hi, thanks so much for the advice, I'll take this into consideration most definitley. I hope this isn't the case as the car never had this problem before it was overhauled. Think that the mechanic could have played with the air screws as I've noticed that adjusting them gets much more solid idle. I'm just a little worried about them being so loose as they might pop down the intake manifold into the engine. Is it advisable to adjust these? If you can assist with the position of the vacuum pipes I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again.
Pierburg Carburettor for 318 M10 - ggh1
I have the vacuum info for the Pierburg 34/34 2BE which was fitted to BMW 316(E30) 1983-1988 engine code M10/B18. If this is of any use to you I can scan it and email it to you, if you want to take the risk of giving out your email address?
That would be great. But send to this email address please: aldridgew@webmail.co.za

It would really be appreciated.

Thanks so much
Pierburg Carburettor for 318 M10 - Ninjashadow

I know its been a while since any one posted here but would it be possible to get hold of the info on the 2BE carb. I just rebuilt my cylinder head and need to know where all the vacuum pipes go.

Thanks . :)

Pierburg Carburettor for 318 M10 - 3picioare
Here is something that may help. www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/421en/index.htm. I have an E30 316 from '87 in excellent condition, but it eats fuel like a pig, 16.8mpg (14 L/100km) in city. The link above is pretty good, it even has a troubleshooting guide but no specifications. So wile it shows how and were to measure, there are no values to compare to. Quite disappointing. There is a diagram showing all the hoses and where they are supposed to go. If that does not help, I believe I could take some pictures of my engine.

Best of luck,

Constantin

Thank you for your reply 3picioare.

That site has been hepfull to me :).

Dude you are a life saver that site showed me where the idle mixture screw was and after adjusting it i dont have a c*** load of soot coming out the exhaust meaning its no longer running rich as hell.

THANKS AGAIN Constantin you ROCK :D

Pierburg Carburettor for 318 M10 - 3picioare

You're welcome. As luck has it, not long after I posted the link, I have found the specifications for the 2BE. The site is in german, but with the help of google translate and a lot of common sense, one could extract the info he needs. Here it is www.ruddies-berlin.de/serv2be.htm (there is no error, it is blabla.htm). I belive I have found my problem , the TPS is showing greater resistances than specified (about 1 kohm more). So I just have to buy a new one, the only problem is that a new one is about 100 euro (O_o). I will see what could be done with a few resistors placed in paralel with the sensor.

Good luck with your car and I was glad I could help. Constantin

Pierburg Carburettor for 318 M10 - 2BEnightmare

I can see it has ben a long while since Constantin made the last comment on this topic. I have done all possible tests to my Pierburg Carburettor 2BE fitted to a BMW 316, 1986. All the circuits are correct, the measurments of resistance and voltage are qithin the specifications. Well, there are a couple od resistances that are outside the range. These are located in the plug of the throttle positioner. As you know, this devise controls the iddling speed. And for those who are familiar with the problems associated with this issue, once the iddling speed starts to go wrong it is 99.9% due to a fault in this part of the circuit. One only needs to add the appropiate resistance to put it back withing the specifications and the iddle speed will work almost smoothly. But that is not the problem I have. This is tio do with the mixture. To give you an idea as to how bad it is, after having run for 60 - 70 minutes the spark plugs become so fouled that the engine stops. I have to take out the spark plugs and clean them to make it running again. Naturally, to avoid damaging the engine I have stoped starting it and let it to run for longer than 30 seconds. I have even adjusted the only screw one can manually handle (the mixture screw) and no matters if it is fully open or fully closed, the mixture remains obscenly reach. Even the wire harness to the Electronic Control Unit has been checked. All is perfect. What it could be? Is there anyone who could shed more ligt on this nightmare? I can only think on the only part I have not checked as I have not the means to do it. The Electronic Control Unit. There are places in the UK where one can send the ECU for testing. Cost is £60 P&P incl. But I haven't found a garage or else in London who provides this service. Can anyone tell me where there is one in London? Most appreciated.

Pierburg Carburettor for 318 M10 - unthrottled

The most likely cause is that the float bowl is sticking open allowing the fuel pump to literally pump fuel through the jets rather than allowing the venturi effect to properly meter the fuel according to air flow.

There is always the temptation to fiddle with the mixture screw as if the jet/needle has suddenly changed its calibration. This is virtually never the case.

I had a twin fixed choke on an old Toyota and Toyota wisely put anti interference heads on the mixture screw to stop this!

Pierburg Carburettor for 318 M10 - 2BEnightmare

Thanks. As I have said, I've checked every single item on the carburettor and they are all perfect. The float was the forst thing I checked. I even changed the needles just in case. But the mixture remained the same, too rich. My only doubt points towards the ECU.

Pierburg Carburettor for 318 M10 - unthrottled

Hmm...

Does the choke plate fully open as the engine warms up?