02 plate 1.6 16v engine problems - pbaker
dont know if anyone has had this problem before or know what you can do about it.
any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
my wife and i currently own a vauxhall zafira 02 plate 1.6 16v club.
since we have had the car we have had nothing but problems with it especially in the engine department.
the problems are that when the car is started first thing in the morning no problem.
driving down the road short distances no problem.
long distances start off ok but after about 40 miles or an hour of driving things start to go wrong.
when you take your foot off the gas pedal or slowing down or trying to keep to a set speed the car starts to rev up and down jerk all over the place and if you take your foot off all together or stop at a junction the car stalls.
this also happens when if after a short journey you start the car and drive it again.
after several times of stalling and restarting leaving it for a while and trying again it finally seems to sort itself out untill the next time!
we have already had the e.g.r valve changed at our local vauxhall garage who had plugged the computer in and proved that the valve was the problem, but after paying for the computer to be plugged in and detect the fault and pay for the valve to be fitted at vauxhall dealer's prices, i'm a bit reluctant to do that again.
Also iv'e noticed other people saying in the forum that they seem to be using a lot of oil, which to be honest is exactly what our car is doing for no apparent reason.
there is no leaks i can see around the engine or asscoiated pipework or fittings and no smoke coming out of the exhaust not even on cold startup.
i checked the oil only the other day after checking it only a couple of weeks previously to find to my horror that the dipstick was bone dry, so where is it going?
If anyone has any suggestions of where else to look or try, please could you let me know i would be so grateful.
thankyou

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/01/2008 at 09:11

engine problems - Collos25
Throttle bodies cause the problems you describe as far as the iol is concerned if there are no leaks it can only go one way and thats up the exhaust ie oil seal gone or a worn out engine.
02 plate 1.6 16v engine problems - Dynamic Dave
Has the idle speed control valve ever been cleaned?

As to the oil consumption, how many miles to a litre is the engine approx doing? For reference, the markings on the dipstick between the min and max level = 1 litre. As long as the engine is achieving 1000 or more miles per litre of oil, then its acceptable. As what is quoted in the handbook.
02 plate 1.6 16v engine problems - Screwloose

I've heard of cases on Zafiras where the EVAP [canister purge] valve sticks open and the floor of the plastic tank sucks up on to the fuel pick-up pipe.

That would fit your 40-mile parameter. The dealers didn't get the EGR valve and the EVAP valve mixed up - did they?

They also crack exhaust manifolds; an air-leak there would mess up the fuelling on light throttle.