Any advice? - Manatee
Toying with the idea of replacing our 2002 Civic 1.6 auto used by Mrs Manatee. To be honest, there's nothing wrong with it, bar a few battle scars, but if we can get a decent deal we might swap it.

What she really likes about the Civic is the brilliant interior space front and rear, and the airiness of the cabin - these are missing from the new Civic. She is also a convert to automatic transmission and climate control.

We've just had a look at a Roomster and she's impressed - lots of space for all the stuff she carts around from time to time.

Automatic in Roomsters means a 1.6 16V 105bhp Tiptronic . Fuel economy isn't really an issue as she does about 7,000 miles a year.

We've booked the test drive for next week in a 1.6 Fabia auto - mechanically similar, they haven't an automatic Roomster for us to drive.

The Skoda website is a bit useless - according to that, the transmission is a six speed auto but also has a "hydraulic single dry clutch plate with membrane spring, asbestos free" - I was hitherto under the impression that "Tiptronic" is now VAG-speak for a torque converter auto? The salesman couldn't explain the difference between the Tiptronic and the DSG save to say they do the same thing, and you get one in petrols and the other in diesels. A torque converter is my preference anyway for this car.

Any thoughts on this, especially the engine which neither the website nor the brochure give any information about other than output, cylinder dimensions and compression ratio? The belt cam is a drawback (shared by the Honda, but theirs aren't renowned for breaking). I think it's standard Bosch MP injection rather than the varnish-accreting GDI /FSI type?

Is climate control a worthwhile upgrade on these or does it just introduce something else to go wrong? I have a vague recollection that VAG climate control is dodgy.

Nice as it would be to treat Mrs M, I don't want to replace the Honda with anything that's likely to be more troublesome! Nothing, 0, has gone wrong with the Honda in five and a half years.

Edited by Manatee on 13/01/2008 at 18:03

Any advice? - Pugugly {P}
Go to Briskoda - sign up and post the same question on the Roomster forum.

www.briskoda.net/forums/roomster/

They're a friendly bunch in there, someone will have one !

Loads of tests on t'internet of various Roomies. Apparantly there's a special offer of a grand off new Roomsters.
Any advice? - oilrag
"A torque converter is my preference anyway"

Exactly, mine too for an `auto`.

Not referring to any particular make of course, but the other type with conventional clutch plates, clanking rods, levers, gasping hydraulics and a software `brain` that would be shunned by an Atlantic Cod.

Said fish has no problem putting the power down with a damp clutch plate, something for manufacturers of modern systems to aspire to perhaps:)

I tend to think lock up torque converters could be improved further, but then company accountants kicked the engineers out.

Regards
Any advice? - BobbyG
Manatee, my dad considered this (and still is).

However he wanted a 3 auto and these are hard to come by unless he orders a new one with 3-4 month waiting list and, as you have experienced, almost impossible to get one to test drive.

Here is my thread from HJ

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=56789&...f

I posted a similar wuestion on Briskoda and had a lot of useful replies and you also find there are several dealers all contribute to the site and are willing to offer test drives etc.

My thread there (if thats allowed mods?)

www.briskoda.net/forums/roomster/roomster-3-1-6-au.../
Any advice? - Pugugly {P}
Why yes (said he who is biased - I posted one earlier)