01 2.0 auto 24k - Change the spark plugs ? - David Horn
World's most infantile question coming up: I now have a Honda Accord 2.0 automatic, which is 7 years old, has 24k on the clock, and has been serviced once in its lifetime.

It was used primarily for short journeys and I did an oil and fluids change the moment I got it. However, the fuel economy is absolutely appalling (even for an auto), with it struggling to get 28mpg on A-roads.

Having never owned a petrol car before, do these things still need spark plugs changing occasionally? Performance seems fine (although acceleration at about 70mpg is poor). Anything else I should replace? According to the book, the cambelt's due towards the end of this year.

Cheers,

David.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 11/01/2008 at 20:50

01 2.0 auto 24k - Change the spark plugs ? - hm
Mate, if you have the 2.0i Auto 2001 model, I think it will be the 144BHP motor, 28MPG is about right.......the book states Av 30MPG for this motor (Parkers Guide)...remember, she may be an auto, but only a four speed.....
01 2.0 auto 24k - Change the spark plugs ? - Pugugly {P}
If it was me, I'd change the cambelt and associated bits now as well as the plugs.
01 2.0 auto 24k - Change the spark plugs ? - grease monkey
Having never owned a petrol car before do these things still need spark plugs changing
occasionally? Performance seems fine (although acceleration at about 70mpg is poor). Anything else I should
replace? According to the book the cambelt's due towards the end of this year.

david as well as replacing the spark plugs, a clean air filter can help on the mpg front,the accord requires it valve clearences checking at 27k(well worth doing) definately get the cam-belt done & the balancer shaft belt for peace of mind

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/01/2008 at 21:20

01 2.0 auto 24k - Change the spark plugs ? - mark999
Change all filters and fluids, plugs and leads and give it an italian tune up.
28mpg is excellent for a 2l auto my old Saab 99 auto would never do better than 22mpg and was down to 17mpg in winter.
01 2.0 auto 24k - Change the spark plugs ? - David Horn
Thanks all for the advice - I might do the air filter and spark plugs in a couple of weekends, but I think I'll leave the cambelt until after I get back from Phoenix as I'm out there for six months over the summer.