Worlds most desirable registration mark. - Imagos
F1 which was (or still is?) owned by Essex County Council since 1904 is arguably the most desirable mark ever you would think even though it failed to sell at auction in 2004. So what happened to it?

In the pub today a friend is convinced it has a new mystery owner (Bernie E perhaps) although i'm not so sure.

Anyone in the BR know what happened to it? (to settle a pub argument?)

Worlds most desirable registration mark. - PoloGirl
All I can find on Google is that it didn't sell in 2004, and was due to go back to auction during the Goodwood festival in June 2005... but nothing since then, apart from a few internet rumours that Mr E does indeed own it.

I thought P1 was worth more than F1 though?

Worlds most desirable registration mark. - L'escargot
I don't think I'd want a personalised number, especially one as distinctive as that. They make your car too conspicuous and that could lead to vandalism when parked in a public place due to jealously.
Worlds most desirable registration mark. - jc2
Surely A1:F1 and 1F were both owned by Essex CC till recently.they still own ECC 1.
Worlds most desirable registration mark. - Blue {P}
I saw the plate 1 AU on a car the other day, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't AU the chemical symobol for gold? I suspect that plate was worth a fortune.

Worlds most desirable registration mark. - L'escargot
......... isn't AU the chemical symobol for gold?

You're close. The chemical symbol for gold is Au.
Worlds most desirable registration mark. - jc2
F1 & 1F were up for sale as a pair-not for sale seperately.
Worlds most desirable registration mark. - Tron
I am with Clarkson on this one!

I cannot see what the justification is on the cost of sticking a 'unique' registration on a vehicle.

QUOTE Jeremy Clarkson. Top Gear: Just show's you have more money than sense and that your car is bigger than your.....

Worlds most desirable registration mark. - Alby Back
I can't see the harm in a personal reg if it is displayed legally. If it amuses the owner then that's fine by me. Some would argue that in some cases it brings a little humour.

I may not approve of someone elses choice of car or the colour they specified, but I do not feel that that suddenly entitles me to publicly sneer at them.

Dodgy shoes are of course a quite different matter ! ;-)
Worlds most desirable registration mark. - Pugugly {P}
'unique' registration

All car registrations are unique around here ! :-)

Worlds most desirable registration mark. - Alby Back
Yeah - as long as you use those "tamper proof" bolts !
Worlds most desirable registration mark. - ForumNeedsModerating
Surely A1:F1 and 1F were both owned by Essex CC till recently.they still own ECC 1.

What Essex.. bling number plates? Nah.
Worlds most desirable registration mark. - Tomo
True, but with the way the word is (mis)used nowadays it might be said that some numbers are more unique than others!
Worlds most desirable registration mark. - Blue {P}
You're close. The chemical symbol for gold is Au.

So the numberplate that I saw is about as close as it's possible to get then. :-)

Worlds most desirable registration mark. - PeterRed
I once saw a black transit with Chanel branding and the number plate was:

NO 5

which I thought was quite cool.
Worlds most desirable registration mark. - dimdip
I saw ST 1 on an unassuming peugeot estate a couple of years ago. I think that was Simon Templar's old reg wasn't it?
Sold ! £440,625. - henry k
>>Anyone in the BR know what happened to it? (to settle a pub argument?)
>>
The latest details are

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008...l
"...plate to his 200mph black McLaren SLR sports car,"

or "plans to display the number plate on his £317,000 Mercedes SLR McLaren supercar."

Another report says
"The record-breaking plate will be placed on Kahn Design's groundbreaking Range Rover Cosworth, which will be launched soon. "

So Bernie did not buy it :-(
Sold ! £440,625. - Sofa Spud
Without giving away the actual reg number, there was a normal, not very new hatchback running around here with a very short registration - one letter followed by one digit, as in 'A1', but not A1!
Sold ! £440,625. - Mazda-Man
news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7210000/newsid_72...1

Used to see KINGS around here quite a bit - apparently owned by the Sultan of Brunei.
Sold ! £440,625. - corblimeyguvnar
Still think B1MBO is ideal for 'er indoors. cant find it anywhere now though.

CBG
Sold ! £440,625. - Leif
I wouldn't mind FU. But I'm sure it's not allowed. I do wonder if foreign swear words such as M3RDE or SH1ER are banned.

I find most of these vanity plates annoying, simply because you have to think hard to realise what the owner is trying to say. Okay, I know what they are saying, it is 'loser' because they can't afford a half decent plate. What's worse, advertising that you are stinking rich, or advertising that you are a loser? Well, I can't see anything wrong with the former, as the plate is probably on an outrageously expensive car anyway, and garaged in a huge warehouse attached to a mansion.