Replacement car - advice wanted please - hjd
I currently drive a Honda Civic 1.6 (03 reg). I have no particular problems with the car, other than the noise level when driving - but I know that's a feature of that model/engine.
I have been having problems with my knees for some time - and I didn't think I was that old! Basically, I need to have my hips higher than my knees when seated to avoid pain. I am currently only driving fairly short distances in the Honda for this reason. Can anyone suggest a car where the driving position would be better for me? I assume an MPV type might be better but don't really know.
The other consideration is interior space. The Honda is great for that, especially in the back. I sometimes need to have 5 adults in the car, and three of them are 6 ft or over. This is actually fine in the Honda as there is no transmission tunnel to make the midde seat passenger uncomfortable. I am 5'8" but have approx 34" inside leg, so need plenty of legroom for myself (I am female, in case that makes a difference).
I would probably be looking at a 1 to 2 year old car. Probably only drive about 7,000 miles pa, mostly local trips but with longer ones each month.
Will consider most cars but definitely not any Vauxhalls. It would be nice if it wasn't too ugly, but considering the appearance of the Civic that's obviously not my first priority. Don't really want anything too much larger externally than the Civic.
Replacement car - advice wanted please - movilogo
need to have my hips higher than my knees when seated

By physics, you'll fall from seat (like narrow wooden seats on bus stops) :)

On a serious note, you've not specified any budget.

Basically an MPV sort of vehicle will suit you then. If your budget is low, probably WagonR like car will be suitable.

I think many cars with proper height adjustable seat should serve your needs.

Budget not the greatest limiting factor - say £7,500 to £8,000.
Have to say the range of adjustment on car seats I have tried has been fairly limited and not really suitable for what I want.
Replacement car - advice wanted please - Avant
Seat comfort is such a personal thing that I think you'll just have to go to showrooms and try sitting in various models. Supermarkets like Car Giant, Fords of Winsford and Trade Sales are useful for this sort of exercise: it depends where you live.

Some seat height adjusters merely raise the back of the seat instead of the whole thing: for me that's a cop-out but it might be just what you need. I have a feeling that some Fords are like this, so try a Focus.

Does your Civic have a height adjuster? - if not, perhaps a newer or more upmarket version might suit; there's nothing better in that size of car for rear legroom.

Finally is it worth trying an automatic in case part of your knee problem is having to use the clutch all the time?

Hope this helps.
Replacement car - advice wanted please - retgwte
id be getting an auto without airbags in the seat, and then spend a while choosing a good aftermarket seat and have it fitted, maybe get 2 aftermarket seats so they match, not as expensive as youd think

then youve got much more freedom of what car to choose, you can always keep the seats for the next car if you swap the original seats back in at the end

other than that you really need to go to a big car supermarket, or car show, and sit in as many cars as you can, try and figure it out that way

Replacement car - advice wanted please - gordonbennet
Try berlingo/partner combi, nice upright and very comfy seats, and you do sit up well in these as high roofed with the screen pillar much further away than normal cars.

If you get the HDI they are very nice to drive, not pretty but who cares.

Replacement car - advice wanted please - Billy Whizz
>Will consider most cars but definitely not any Vauxhalls
My dad (70) has sore knees and was really struggling to get into and out of his previous executive estate. I recommended he try a Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 auto which he has now had for a year and he is thoroughly pleased with it. It was 3 years old, had done only 15,000 miles and he got it for less than £7000. He has now put on another 15,000 miles. A great buy (so far).

Edited by Billy Whizz on 11/01/2008 at 23:14

Have only ever bought one Vauxhall - many years ago. It was a new car and was a disaster. Worse still was the way we were treated by Vauxhall themselves. We would thus never buy one of their products again - thanks for offering advice though!
Replacement car - advice wanted please - Dynamic Dave
Have only ever bought one Vauxhall - many years ago.

By your own admission it was many years ago. A lot of dealers (other than Vauxhall) were rubish back then, a lot still are; on the other hand a lot of dealers are very good, Vauxhall included. Take off the blinkers and stop them from clouding your judgement.
Replacement car - advice wanted please - I'm a Pane
Take a look at a SEAT Altea or Toledo. High and well adjustable driving position, bags of room, wonderful (mk5 Golf derived) chassis. Go for a 1.6 petrol and your 1 to 2 year old will be comfortably under £9K (especially if you can cope with the Toledos slightly 'unique' rear end!). Fit, finish and reliability virtually guaranteed to be good and the dealers seem a happy bunch to deal with. Let us know the outcome!
Thanks for all suggestions - will have a look at them.
Replacement car - advice wanted please - Nsar
Best seats can be found in SAABs.