Clutch R&R on 2001 Fabia 1.9tdi - Cost - malteser
Could anyone tell me the cost of a genuine VAG clutch kit (parts on exchange) for a 2001 Skoda Fabia 5 dr. hatch, 1.9tdi, (101 bhp) PD engine?
Also can anyone tell me the official Skoda hours required to do this job?
Is 74,000 miles a reasonable life for a clutch in one of these cars - assuming sensible driving - i.e. no boy racer stuff, no clutch riding, but using engine braking, with suitable revs adjustment, as a norm?
Clutch R&R on 2001 Fabia 1.9tdi - Cost - Screwloose

The book time [Fabia PDTDi with ATD engine and EGR] is given as 2.8 hours for the clutch, but as this will almost certainly have a dual-mass flywheel to change as well, then it's 3 hours dead.

Does that mean that a new dual mass flywheel is required too?

I have been quoted around 700+ euros, (Main VW/Skoda dealer in Marbella)(inc VAT @16%) for the job, with the labour rate at 48.35 euros (inc. VAT @16%). Parts are around 465 euros, (inc VAT @16%), so that leaves 235 euros@ 48 euros per hour = around 5 hours ?
VAT rate IS 16% here and a euro is currently worth around £0.68.
That's a staggering £475 for a clutch replacement with a labour rate that is about £33.85 per hour all in.
Do I smell rotten fish?

Is there really somewhere in the civilized world where a dealer still charges £33hr? You could put a 1 in front in some parts.

That sounds like they're not quoting for changing the DMF too. In most of the UK, a PD clutch is getting on for a £1000 job.
Clutch R&R on 2001 Fabia 1.9tdi - Cost - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
As for life, My bigger Passat with the same engine , is on the original clutch at 109,000 miles.
Touches wood.
Yes - in Marbella, the labour rate at the VAG main dealer, for Skodas is, actually 44.48 Euros an hour + VAT @16%!

We have just had our car back and there are three main items under parts (all in Spanish and abbreviated on the bill!).
A plate at 143.32 euros, a disc at 188.95 euros and a collar at 53.95 euros, all + VAT.
Time shown for the the job was 3.10 hours + 0.20 hours for cleaning the gearbox. (Maybe scraping off the mating edge gasket if they fit such things these days?)

The total for the clutch replacement was therefore 533.10 Euros, plus 16% VAT =618.40 Euros or about 460 GBP, depending on the exchange rate
Roger
Costa del Sol, España.
Roger

Driven plate, clutch cover and release bearing - no DMF. If it fails in the next year; you can have them for not doing the job properly.
Thanks for the info., Screwloose!

Actually they give a two year warranty on parts & labour for genuine VAG group parts fitted by themselves - the main reason we use them.

I cannot get my head around the cost of clutch parts for these cars. Are ALL modern cars this expensive?
I used to be in the motor trade and a clutch kit was IIRC around 25 to 50 quid, depending on car make & model!

Roger
Costa del Sol, España.
Clutch R&R on 2001 Fabia 1.9tdi - Cost - Dave N
Yeah, the 2 years warranty is on the clutch they replaced, not the DMF they didn't.
By UK standards, not an excessive amount. They were certainly charging the max though - 4.5hrs on a 3hr book job?

Some clutch kits are still under £100 - an indie in this country would likely have done the same work for £275.

Edited by Screwloose on 26/01/2008 at 19:40

Clutch R&R on 2001 Fabia 1.9tdi - Cost - doctorchris
You're right, clutch kit for my Panda 4x4 costs £79.30+VAT.
3.30 hours = 3 hours 18 minutes, I think?
Roger
Costa del Sol, España.