Impressions - cheddar
Perhaps justifies a new thread from the man v auto one:

Drove a 3.0 Sport manual today.

Nice crisp V6, the chassis felt firm but absorbed ruts and bumps well, the steering was weighted much like the Mondeo, didn't hoon around so cant really comment on handling though it was surefooted and responsive enough.

Re performance, as expected and as per the above comment it didnt have that instant shove at low revs in any gear that the TDCi gives - less than 1800 in top and it still goes. Despite being 3.0ltr it pulled cleanly but not strongly by TDCi standards until getting on for 3000 from which it seemed to have a very linear delivery, the power building with the revs without a step, accordingly perhaps deceptively quick if using the revs, needle swing to 6000 + easily.

Kit - this car had optional full leather and also the optional elec sunroof which I would like, I value it on the Mondeo, though though no cruise, trip or column/wheel audio controls, also only a single non MP3 CD.

Nice dash binnacle though I prefer the centre console on the Mondeo where the climate controls etc are set into the ebony wood effect with the audio unit seperate, on the X-Type the climate system and audio gives the impression of being one combined and rather large unit. I also didnt like the interior colour of this car, cream leather.

Reckon a 3.0 auto beckons though one with black leather and probably SE spec.

EDIT: Spellin'

Edited by cheddar on 10/01/2008 at 15:59

Impressions - DP
Lovely car. A colleague has a 2004 2.5 SE manual which he's had for just over a year and he's delighted with it. I've been passenged in it a few times and it's a lovely wafty thing IMO, although doesn't feel particularly quick.

The 3.0 I'm told is a popular candidate for an LPG conversion and thus converted, delivers 10p per mile fuel costs. That's tempting I have to say.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 10/01/2008 at 16:51

Impressions - cheddar
doesn't feel particularly quick.

The 3.0 is quoted as 0-60 in 6.6 which is pretty rapid (I know, I know 0-60 that is just one rather pointless measure) though the linear delivery means it does not feel as quick as perhaps it is.
Impressions - cheddar
Please ignore "and as per the above comment" !

That is what comes from moving text around and then not reading it properly!

Impressions - cheddar
>>A colleague has a 2004 2.5 SE manual>>

DP, does it have cruise, column/wheel audio controls and a trip computer?

Thanks.
Impressions - injection doc
glad you enjoyed the road test. My neigbour only averages 19mpg with his 3.0 so 26 may be a bit hopefull. if he's heavey it drops to 16 but get 23-24 on a run if careful & 26 if he keeps it below 60. Controls on steering wheel excellent. Wouldn't go for the cream leather, looks great new but once it ages it looks tired. You can get all the different finishes for the dash & centre panel if required if you don't like the finish.
Doc
Impressions - cheddar
Anyone know which year they introduced the steering wheel controls, 2004 from what I can see though might be 2005 model year?

my 2003 model had steering controls. They were an option. My 2006 was standard I belive.
Impressions - cheddar
Thanks IJ, what spec was it, SE, Sport etc?
The three I have had are all sports. Did you have a good look at the jag forums? Hope you were impressed by the bent one! The tow bar ended up on the axis of the rear wheels that ended up in the back seats!. If you expand pic look at the chassis!
ij
Impressions - cheddar
Hi IJ,

Re the smashed Jag, that was some impact!

Re forums, I have looked at www. jaguarforum .co.uk, any others?

Regards.
Hi Cheddar
huge impact! the car that hit me was travelling 80+ when I was stationary!my seat broke and it threw me in the back of the car so the car travelled 600 yrds before it stopped!
Try UK owners x type jaguar owners club .Theres's a guy today winging about getting 230 miles on a tank full on a 3.0ltr auto 19mpg! Makes 50ish seem quite good.
Doc
Try www.x-type.org.uk/
doc
& try www.jaguarguides.com/
Good for tech info
Doc
Impressions - Pete M
Getting 19 mpg average, with twenty-something possible with a light foot? Some real progress then from my 84 XJ12, which with a 5.3 litre engine gets 16 around town and 21 on a trip. It's half as big again and weighs twice as much and is over twenty years older.
I think that pushing around a certain amount of weight and size of bodywork will use a certain amount of fuel, and it's fairly difficult to radically change this. My 2.4 Mark 1 used around the same amount of fuel as my 3.4 Mark 2.
Impressions - Pugugly {P}
And, dare I say, a more pleasing engine note !
Impressions - Blue {P}
Anyone got a link to this thread about the smashed Jag? I'm curious to have a look now but can't find it!

Impressions - cheddar
Anyone got a link to this thread about the smashed Jag? >>

It refers to IJ's own Jag that was rear ended on the m/way, he e-mailed me a pic, it is not a thread.
Impressions - cheddar
can get all the different finishes for the dash
& centre panel if required if you don't like the finish.

Do you mean that whatever the interior trim colour you can buy replacement "wood" trim for the dash, centre console and doors?

I have seen a car with grey leather and black ebony effect wood, very nice, though otherwise the spec is not so good (exterior colour etc), most have burr elm or whatever and I like the idea of perhaps changing burr elm for ebony.

How much would it cost?

Thanks.
Hi Cheddar
You will find the companies that do them on the x-type forum. i haven't bought any so can't help with how much choice or how much they do I'm afraid. was it you A/r bar rattling?
Doc
Impressions - cheddar
Thanks IJ.

Re a/r bar, not investigted, it is minor, might wait for the warmer weather or MOT time (April), that is if an X-Type does not beckon in the meantime ;-)