94 1.7td Anyone used cylinder head/block sealant?. - Railroad.
And if so had any success? I've got a 1994 Astra 1.7DTL, and for the last year or so it's been misfiring after a cold start, and white smoke from the exhaust for just a few seconds, after which it's fine for the rest of the day. Also more recently I've noticed a slight loss of coolant, about 1 pint every two weeks. Last night I decided to release the pressure on the cooling system after returning home in the car, and this morning my suspicions were confirmed. There was no misfire and no smoke. I suspect the cylinder head has a small crack, which is not altogether unknown on these.

So, has anyone used any sealant which is available, and if so had any success with it. I might well try it before taking the head off, and although the engine otherwise runs perfectly fine with no signs of overheating. I'm a bit concerned about what I might find on an engine that's done 212,000 miles, even though it loses no oil at all, and a 14 year old car that isn't worth anything now.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 07/01/2008 at 20:07

94 1.7td Anyone used cylinder head/block sealant?. - drivewell
Could simply be the head gasket. Always seen radiator sealants as an emergency 'get you home', rather than a permanent repair
94 1.7td Anyone used cylinder head/block sealant?. - Railroad.
Could simply be the head gasket.

-------------------------------------------
It could be but I do think so. It hasn't got any worse for a year or more, and if it was the gasket I'm sure it'd be more serious by now. Also the engine does not overheat at all, but I'm sure that coolant is entering one or more cylinders as the system de-pressurises overnight. That's why I'm thinking along the lines of the head may have a small crack which opens when cold, and seals up when hot and expansion takes place.

The stuff I've got in mind is a professional use engine sealant, and not Radweld or such like........
94 1.7td Anyone used cylinder head/block sealant?. - Screwloose

You'll need some luck; but as it's a water loss and not obviously a combustion pressure leak, the Wurth one [Radseal HP - white with metallic particles] might be your best bet.
94 1.7td Anyone used cylinder head/block sealant?. - fred6ft
You'll need some luck; but as it's a water loss and not obviously a combustion
pressure leak the Wurth one [Radseal HP - white with metallic particles] might be your
best bet.

does anyone know if screwloose succeeded in this, as i got very much the same problem with my p-reg 1.4 astra. and if so, how do you go about sorting this build-up of pressure in the header tank
94 1.7td Anyone used cylinder head/block sealant?. - wobblyboot
I'm ashamed to admit I made a diesel Toyota with a cracked head soldier on for 20,000 miles, as Screwloose says the sealants with metallic particles are by far the best. Make sure you bleed the coolant system thoroughly once you've added the sealant.
94 1.7td Anyone used cylinder head/block sealant?. - Screwloose
fred

A pressure leak into the coolant is rather different to a coolant seep the other way.

Have a garage sniff the header tank for hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide - if there's any building up in there, then it's head off.

Running with a pressure leak just compounds the problem and adds to the cost.
94 1.7td Anyone used cylinder head/block sealant?. - CH
I have cured a head gasket leak in a 1993 Astra 1.4MPI (8 valve) by adding a substance called 'K-Seal'. It costs about £11-12 a container (will 'do' a car up to 20 litres capacity). IT WORKS. Type in 'K-Seal' on Google to find a supplier. If you have no luck email me cliveholterman@yahoo.co.uk and I'll give you the gen. The product will mix happily with ny other additive that may be present in the system, including anti-freeze, so there's no need to drain etc.
94 1.7td Anyone used cylinder head/block sealant?. - sierraman
I recently bought some Kalimex K-seal from a well known auction site,considerably cheaper than motor factors.Cannot comment on its effectiveness as I have not used it yet but it is supposed to be good.