Letting off Steam - Nookie
I ordered the new Mk5 VW Golf Estate from a Dealership in late October 2007.

Because it was a Factory build I was told delivery could take up to 12 weeks.
Just got off the phone to the Dealer who is now saying end of February early March delivery which makes a minimum of 18 weeks.

There seems no point in getting upset but I am left wondering how common this problem is with all motor manufacturers and whether there should be a penalty clause in favour of the consumer.

Letting off Steam - PoloGirl
They said 12 weeks for my Golf and it was here in ten I think. Eighteen is stretching a bit far though! On the plus side, does that mean you get the new reg in March?

Letting off Steam - Manatee
You've just reminded me to make "time of the essence" next time I do this - though they probably won't agree to it any more than they'll fix the price, so watch out for it going up as well.

It's arguably insane that dealers expect you to sign a contract to buy without fixing a delivery date or price but regrettably "there ain't no sanity clause" (Chico Marx, 1935)
Letting off Steam - Avant
I ordered mine the day it came on the market in August: if I hadn't been able to get one that was already in the UK they said it would have been 5 months, as they have to come from Mexico.

Although Golf estates are good value (not always true of VWs) you don't see many on the roads yet - presumably because everyomne is waiting 5 months. The Mexicans are too busy dancing on their hats, and VW are missing sales through some silly short-term economy and not making them in Wolfsburg.

I can only console you by saying that it'll be worth the wait (a 2.0 TDI is, anyway).
Letting off Steam - MichaelR
Why did you order this car? It's really not very good, is overpriced and has the most restrictive engine range known to man. Cancel it and buy something good. Due to VW's ridiculous pricing strategy a Passat Estate is barely any more expensive.

Personally I'd have had an Octavia vRS TDI 170 Estate for the same cash. So much more car.
Letting off Steam - Avant
Michael - for heaven's sake try to grow up a bit and give some credit to other people's views: people who disagree with you are not automatically wrong. One might have hoped that university was teaching you that.

To help others who are actually interested in driving this class of car, the Golf estate is the only version with which you can have SE trim plus the 2.0 TDI engine. The hatch has to have GT Sport trim to get this engine (list price £18,867 for the 5-door, which is expensive).

List price for the SE 2.0 TDI estate like mine - £17,862.

Skoda Octavia Elegance estate 2.0 TDI £17,940 - but it has parking sensors and climate control so is really slightly cheaper: I would have had one but the Golf is likely to hold its value better over 3 years.

Skoda Octavia vRS estate (170 bhp) £19,420.

VW Passat estate SE 2.0 TDI (140) £20,067.

These are all list prices but discounts would be comparable.

Finally, after 7700 miles, so far it IS very good. Stick in there, Nookie, and I hope it comes soon.

Edited by Avant on 05/01/2008 at 20:45

Letting off Steam - Stuartli
My best mate ordered a new diesel Mondeo Ghia a month ago - he's been informed the delivery date will be March 3rd. At least it will be an 08 registration mark.

Amazing length of time to wait for a blue badge model...:-)
Letting off Steam - Xileno {P}
Michael - for heaven's sake try to grow up a bit and give some credit to other people's views: people who disagree with you are not automatically wrong.

Maybe a career in Politics beckons?
Letting off Steam - MichaelR
Steady on, I was just expressing my opinion, at that point nobody else had had a chance to disagree with me yet :p

It just seems like a flawed car with a very limited engine range released right at the end of the life of the Mk5 model.
Letting off Steam - stunorthants26
Lamborghini have a limited engine range, not sure anyone will complain though.
Besides, if you get the right engines in that limited range, then it doesnt matter. Im sure VW have worked out the business behind the range offered and as such, it will reflect that.
Letting off Steam - rtj70
The range is only nearing it's end (but not there) to reduce costs to build. The replacement might not actually drive as well - the rear control-blade like suspension is likely to get simplified or be dropped.

How can they now only realise the design meant it cost too much to build. I'd say it is a very good car. Previous MkIV Golf/Bora both had estate variants in Europe. Madness.
Letting off Steam - Dr Rubber
Has the OP ordered a DSG version? There are reports that delivery on DSG equiped cars are regularly taking 15 to 18 weeks due to demand.

As for car contracts, a friends contract for his KIA Ceed holds the price, a fixed delivery date and the option to get out or change cars if this date changes.

Joe