2003 1.9TDi - Front End Sqeak - mazda60
Hi,
My daugthers Ibiza 1.9tdi (2003 plated with 46k) has recently developed, what she is describing as a squeak (like the movement of rubber) which is most noticeable during gear changes when there is some engine rocking motion. As I know nothing about these sorts of issues and don't know where to start looking ,can anyone offer any suggestions or have had a similar experience.
She does think that is worsening though !.

Many thanks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/01/2008 at 19:45

Front End Sqeak - bimmer-driver
Sounds to me like an engine mount gone soft. They aren't exactly super firm to start with....

Currently driving: 2007 SEAT Ibiza TDi
Front End Sqeak - mazda60
Hi Ibiza driver,
Many thanks for your reply. I have had another listen today and it is certainly a rubbery squeak with any engine movement. I will book it in for the service that's due and let you know the outcome.
Thanks again.

I have taken the car in today specifically about this squeak and have been told its not engine mountings.
I have been taken under the car and shown what I can only describe as a star shaped bush in the front suspension lower wishbone where at least one of the rubber stars has broken and is rubbing together probably causing the squeak.
My mechanic has never seen this before and does not know how easy or difficult a job to replace these bushes is but will order a new pair and establish whether a special tool (press) is required.
I intend to speak to my local Seat agent about this problem.
Are poor minor roads ; hard,sports suspension and low profile (45) tyres on 16 inch rims the cause ot this problem ?

I will keep the site posted of developments.

Seat main agent appears to be the only option as far as having the wishbone bushes replaced (special tool needed, which does not suprise me)
Other option would have been to replace complete wishbones both sides which have the bushes and in some cases ,new ball joints also.
Seat main agent quoted 2 hrs labour at £140 plus £30 for the new bushes all of course plus VAT.
Squeak has stopped,tracking checked and adjusted and all is now well.
Seat say that they have replaced a lot of these bushes and the ones on the Leon have been modified but not those on the Ibiza.
If anyone has the same symtoms then this thread may be of help.