Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - Becster
I've just been issued with a fixed fee penalty of £20 because my parking ticket was upside down. I want to contest this because the parking tickets are so flimsy that when i opened my door the wind must have flipped it over, and i didn't notice, as i'd put it in correctly.
i know its not much but they could see the ticket was there, and i've still got it as proof, and my car had been keyed in that area before, why couldn't they have been there to stop that.

i know it sounds petty but its the principle,

does anyone have any advice as i've never done this before, or got a ticket

many thanks
becs

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/01/2008 at 21:30

Advice please - Hamsafar
Just photocopy it and send the photocopy recorded delivery saying the ticket was there and you can't understand how someone couldn't see it.
Advice please - nick
What a jobsworth to fine you for that!
Advice please - henry k
What a jobsworth to fine you for that!

>>
There are, IMO, worse around not just on the street but in the office too.

tinyurl.com/382fr6
Advice please - nick
Words fail me. I hope the issuer of the ticket hasn't bred.
Advice please - Becster
thank you
Advice please - Red Baron
When you say 'upside down', do you mean that the ticket was face-down (flipped over)?
If that is the case then none of the info on the ticket can be read and as far as the parking attendant was concerned - you had no valid ticket on display.
Advice please - Clk Sec
I had a similar problem a few years ago with a flimsy parking ticket. It fell from the screen into a demister vent when I slammed (it was a very old car) the door.

I explained this in a letter to my local council and respectfully suggested this wouldn?t have happened if they had used a little adhesive.

About a week later I received a very polite letter cancelling the charge.

Clk Sec

Edited by Clk Sec on 03/01/2008 at 20:06

Advice please - Avant
Agreed - if you write to the council, keeping it polite even though that's not how you feel, you have a good chance of getting it cancelled.
Advice please - Bromptonaut
Agree with Avant. A nice rational letter to the Council including a copy of the ticket might be enough to get you off. Assume the quoted £20 is the discounted rate if you admit and pay up now. If the Council reject your informal representation you have to consider whether to chance it doubling if you loose an appeal to the adjudicator.
Advice please - Armitage Shanks {p}
However, if the ticket was not capable of being glued or stuck on display it could have been flipped over by the action of you closing the door. Worth a try at getting it cancelled, if you have kept the ticket and can prove you did have one, of course.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 03/01/2008 at 20:26

Advice please - Tron
Play them at their own game...

...give them polite, logical but firm reason to show that their employee could have made an error.
Advice please - Pugugly {P}
Remember he/she may have photographic evidence.
Advice please - Cliff Pope
It's an unstated implication in all regulations about display that the notice, ticket, permit etc should be the right way up. I don't suppose the number plate regulations actually say the letters should be right way up. What about the tax disc?
Advice please - moonshine {P}

If the ticket was flipped over, i.e. only showing the back of the ticket and no information visibile, then it's your mistake and time to write a cheque for £20.

If the ticket was upsiode down, i.e. information is visible but upside down, then I would say its time to write a letter!
Advice please - movilogo
Next time buy a Sticky mat for £2 and paste the ticket there!
www.sticmatz.com/Products.htm
I use it and quite handy.

Regarding your original problem, if the ticket was flipped over (i.e. text side not visible), then they have reason to believe that you didn't have a parking ticket as they couldn't see it.

However, since you did have the ticket, always worth a try. Hope they won't fine a good citizen.

Edited by movilogo on 04/01/2008 at 09:07

Advice please - Hamsafar
What exactly does the penalty notice say was the offence?
Advice please - Clk Sec
Further to my post above. The OP said the parking ticket was flimsy, but was there any adhesive on it? If not I suspect a polite letter will result in cancellation of the penalty.

Do let us know, Becster. I can?t stick around much longer.

Clk Sec
Advice please - Becster
i've sent off my letter today, recorded delivery, worth a try anyway, I'll let you all know the outcome, and thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it.
Advice please - OldSock
Good luck with your appeal, Becster.

It's a bit similar to the offence of 'failure to display' a valid tax disc, even though all details are (now) on the PNC. Discs too have a habit of falling down demister vents :-(
Advice please - Peter D
And still the OP has not said whether it could be read from outside the car, i.e. was it face down. ??? Regards Peter
Advice please - GroovyMucker
And still the OP has not said whether it could be read from outside the
car i.e. was it face down. ??? Regards Peter

I don't think she's listening any more.
Advice please - Stuartli
Yet another example of a low intelligence jobsworth it would seem.

Advice please - Bilboman
There are many different parking systems in force in the towns in northern Spain where I live and work. A few examples:
In most towns, you put the money in, take the ticket and keep a tear off portion as a reminder. Some don't have tear off portions (Doh!). It is always possible to pay for consecutive parking periods and the wardens tend to turn a blind eye, despite 1 or 2 hour maximums.
In Vitoria the maximum tariff is exactly 95c (why not 1 Euro?) and I obviously never have 95c in change.
Next level of sophistication is the meters with keypads - you have to key in your registration number, which means you cannot overstay. Bilbao had one of the first such systems, but had to change to a full keyboard after complaints about the sluggish "mobile phone keypad" which drove us all mad. Tourists and more than a few locals get bamboozled by the instructions which appear in Basque by default - the key to switch language is labelled in Basque, (Doh!)
In Getxo, you take the whole ticket with you as the wardens have wireless meters and can do an instant check. Also, a passing crook cannot look and see how long your car is going to be parked there, so breakins are less common.
Good luck with your appeal, by the way! As you can imagine, there are cases here of people keying in the wrong registration number, forgetting to leave the slip in the windscreen, the slip magically turning over (I believe you; the courts won't!) or "falling" out of sight with a fortuitous gust of wind as you shut the door. 1st prize for "worst alibi of the year" for the drivers who leave the parking slip under the windscreen wiper, where it gets nicked!
Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - concrete
Hi Becs, similar thing happened to me in Glasgow. The ticket slipped from the window onto the seat, face up and fairly easy to see. However a penalty notice was issued. I carry a digital camera for work use, so I photographed the scene. I sent the photo, ticket and penalty notice off with a brief and very polite letter of explanation. They kindly cancelled the penalty, but did point out that tickets were expected to be displayed in a prominent position i.e window, windscreen or dashboard but did accept that the seat squab was clearly visible to anyone looking through the window of the car. After all you can only look through a window, you cannot just look at it. A similar event in Edinburgh got just the opposite reaction. The Gestapo who run parking there were having none of it so I just paid up. Just beware, the whole thing seems a lottery. Try a nice letter though, you may be surprised. Good luck. Concrete. PS Does anyone have chapter and verse on the display regulations for parking tickets?
Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - L'escargot
Before leaving my car after having parked it I check that (a) there are no valuable items left visible inside, (b) the windows are closed, (c) the doors and boot are securely locked and (d) the parking ticket is correctly displayed. I pay as much attention to (d) as I do to (a), (b) and (c). They're all as equally important.
Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - GroovyMucker
For pity's sake, L'escargot, don't expect us to take responsibility for our own lives!

Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The polite approach worked for me at Filey when the ticket was blown off the windscreen and landed in the centre console.
I was let off but 6 months later another letter came and had to do the same thing.
If you get let off keep a copy of the letter!
Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - Pendlebury
>>What a jobsworth to fine you for that! <<

I had a similar situation in that I parked in a space in a Derby carpark, only for my wife to tell me I was a bit close to the car on her side and she would struggle to get out. I looked at the space next to me and noticed that ther was a hole dug in it and a barrier around the hole so clearly no-one could park there. So to make life easier for her and the owner of the car next to her I parked across 2 spaces but of course one a had a big hole dug in the middle and no-one could use it.
Of course I got a ticket for being over 2 spaces - I could not really argue because I was over 2 spaces but what a jobsworth !
I took a vow there and then never to give Derby my paying custom (I visit Derby regularly) and I am delighted to say that for 7 months I have avoided doing so and spent my cash at Meadowhall instead - and long may it continue.
Well it makes me feel better about it.

Edited by Pendlebury on 04/01/2008 at 18:09

Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - Mutton Geoff
I'd send an objection. Apparently there is another related scam where drivers don't bother ever buying a ticket but if they get a penalty notice, they scrounge a ticket off a departing driver and send that in to the council with a letter questioning the attendants eyesight. Allegedly.

Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - Aprilia
The OP says that the ticket was 'flipped over' and therefore could not be read by the parking attendant. Seems fair to me that she gets a penalty - otherwise we'd all be parking for free with upside-down (but expired) tickets on the dash..... Don't understand all this talk about 'jobsworths'. I think the attendant was just doing his/her job. Its not too much to ask that you check the ticket is visible as you walk away from parking your car, surely?
I park in our local council car parks very regualrly and I always take care to follow the regulations very carefully. You can be almost certain the attendant will come around whilst you're parked there, so not worth the risk of 'testing' them.
Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - b308
The OP says that the ticket was 'flipped over' and therefore could not be read
by the parking attendant. Seems fair to me that she gets a penalty - otherwise
we'd all be parking for free with upside-down (but expired) tickets on the dash..... Don't
understand all this talk about 'jobsworths'. I think the attendant was just doing his/her job.
Its not too much to ask that you check the ticket is visible as you
walk away from parking your car surely?

And you park within the lines.....

If you break the rules, then expect to get done - the "blame someone else" culture is alive and well I see!
Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - Paul I
I had a similar experience, I recently used a Car park at 6 am, being the time of year I had the blowers on full all the way from home to the station. I Parked and brought my ticket placed in it the car and got my train when I got back in the evening I got a nice £30 fine and noticed the CP Ticket curled up. I assume the paper was affected by the heat loss in the car ??

I wrote a polite letter and enclose the ticket and got a letter of no further action.

Job done!!
Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - Tron
>>>>>Apparently there is another related scam where drivers don't bother ever buying a ticket but if they get a penalty notice, they scrounge a ticket off a departing driver.....

Mutton Geoff, that is simply outrageous!

As if....

Ok. I have done this but NOT intentionally.

Ran in to dispensing chemist to pick up a prescription - less than 5 mins away from car, came back - ticket issued. I was now not only feeling very sorry for myself because I was not well (man flu) I now had a debt to pay - all for a measly £1.00 and because I thought I could get away with it...

Stood and pondered when this car pulled up, driver said 'Here you go mate, send this in, it will get you off the ticket' and promptly gave me his parking ticket that covered the time I was parked but had not paid to do so.

I would have never thought of doing this as I don't think that way.

Sent it in as he said and ticket was withdrawn.

Would and have not ever done it since though - too risky.

Edited by Tron on 05/01/2008 at 16:25

Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - iamfree

Hi there just to let yous all know of this matter i had the same thing.applying to any case of a notice charge this sounds like a system to me.now if they say you have to look and see if this ticket is in the right place now when you buy your ticket.we all is normal people put it at the dashboard is it says on your tickit is you buy it from the paying systems.now this system
that no one knows and it has being running for years this is now 2013 this matter has being going for years with people complaing with this matter.all them years some places with the ticket systems with stickers on them from this happen.now if you know you put your tickit on the dashboard why look twice to see if it is upside down if you close your door you know you put it in the right place this is matter and con.council makeing easy cash.and wrong what they are doing.This case is now closed thank you reply to any off my feedback

Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - Avant

Ma\y we have a translation please?

Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - iamfree

The new Pay and Display Tickets machine 2013 watch out for cause its where you don t put cash in you press button and at end you pay this is a catch this where the city council are making there money .Lets just say your in the town for 20mins.you should only be getting charge for that time but you are paying for more your stay in your parking space .And it cost me 1.60 for 20minis wrong where's all the rest of my money going LOL wrong why do they not create machines where you pay 1p per minute so we know we are not getting con

Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - RT

£1.60 for 20 minutes is the offer, take it or leave it - they don't offer 8p for 1 minute

Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - 1litregolfeater

This can't be the local council.

No local council would ever wish to alienate itself from the local voters.

Having said that, I've known some succesful local politicians and they are utter twits.

Edited by Avant on 19/03/2013 at 00:00

Advice please. Fined for upsidedown parking ticket - Armitage Shanks {p}

Being a sad old bloke, but still vaguelly organised, I keep a small blob of Bluetack (TM) in the door pocket and use it to stick my P&D tickets onto the dashboard. faceup and not able to be moved by draughts or door shutting.