Order of pumps at Petrol Stations - J1mbo
I noticed in my area they are always Derv/Unleaded/Super Unleaded. Is this the case with all stations in all areas? Or does it vary with brand or location??

Weird one but bugging me.

Jim
Order of pumps at Petrol Stations - Armitage Shanks {p}
Is that reading from left to right or right to left?
Order of pumps at Petrol Stations - Ruperts Trooper
Round this way, all the pumps dispense Diesel and Unleaded, with Super Unleaded optionally, but the sequence depends whether the pump is nearside or offside.
Arrr, yes sorry, good point. I fill up near side as its a Jap car. So, nearside, looking at the pump, left to right, Derv, UL, SUL.

Jim
Order of pumps at Petrol Stations - Cliff Pope
Now you mention it, all the pumps I can recall here (west Wales) have diesel as the first pump you drive up to, unleaded next. That's regardless of whether near/offside.

Another question I often had about pumps was the purpose of the three rubber rings that used to waggle about on the pipes. No one here knew, no one in the station ever knew, and now they have disappeared.
Order of pumps at Petrol Stations - CQ
To stop wear of the rubber pipe on the concrete, most pumps now retract the pipe so no need.
To stop wear of the rubber pipe on the concrete most pumps now retract the
pipe so no need.

No, retracting pipes had them too. That was why I asked. Also the rings never stayed at the bottom of the pipe, where it drooped on the ground, but rode up towards the pump in a curious way.
Order of pumps at Petrol Stations - Dipstick
I never really got to the bottom of the vexed question as to why the triggers can be locked in the on position on the continent but not here (although I admit it's some time since I visited Holland/France/Belgium where I recall this). The pump would just cut out as usual when the tank was near full. I can see the arguments against it, but others abroad seem to find it acceptable. Any suggestions?

As to the order of the pumps, obviously it has to be the same order everywhere - how else could blind drivers find the right pump?

Edited by Dipstick on 04/01/2008 at 08:43

Order of pumps at Petrol Stations - Waino
As to the order of the pumps obviously it has to be the same order everywhere - how else could blind drivers find the right pump? >>

Round here, we seem to have a different order of pumps - perhaps this explains why we have so much misfueling i.e. petrol into diesel etc ;-) [We also suffer from blind drivers]
They used to be lockable here too - attendants served several cars at the same time. I haven't seen them for ages - lockable pumps or attendants.
Order of pumps at Petrol Stations - Nsar
>>but bugging me<<

You must have a really exciting life!
Order of pumps at Petrol Stations - L'escargot
I've never taken any notice of the order of the pumps. All I do is make sure I use the right pump and avoid stepping in the inevitable pool of diesel ~ it plays havoc with my Guccis.
Order of pumps at Petrol Stations - movilogo
In my nearest Shell pump, from nearside, looking at the pump, left to right,

Petrol Unleaded - Petrol Super Unleaded - Diesel

I don't think ordering matters. I always read the labels first before pouring into my car's tank.
Order of pumps at Petrol Stations - Bilboman
I'm deliberately not memorising order of pumps, deliberately not relying on them, as the tragic day will inevitably come...
Re: locking pumps: quite common for diesel (which doesn't, in *normal* situations, ignite) in Spain, and there are often a couple of separate dual-height diesel-only pumps sited some way away from the rest, which are usually "mixed". Handy for vans and lorries and canny car drivers.
Seven years and 200,000 kms with company cars, all diesel, and haven't mis-fuelled yet, touch wood; looking forward to new Focus in April and handy EasyFuel system - worries over!
Order of pumps at Petrol Stations - Vansboy
Here in Luton, the Shell sites were ...

unleaded, out of service, out of service, on each pump, for 3 days!!

All those taxi drivers having to go to Asda for their diesel & the others, nowhere for their premium grade petrol.

& my Omega lost 2mpg, 'running on UL, instead of V power - so it IS worth the extra 6p/ltr!!

VB
Same problem down here, but local Shell has now got some UL, just no V Power :-(
Order of pumps at Petrol Stations - Ruperts Trooper
I have an arrangement with my optician, I give him money he enables me to read words in big letters on fuel pumps.

This thread is a sad reflection on modern expectations.
Order of pumps at Petrol Stations - mike hannon
That's a polite way of putting it! ;-)