'01 TDCi or not at this age ? - Hawks1980
Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a 2001 'Y' or '51' Plate Mark III Mondeo with a Diesel Engine. Is the engine in this age of Mondeo a TDCi engine, as according to various sites, Ford introduced the TDCi engine with the Mark III Mondeo in 2000. However, I have read on other sites that the TDCi engine wasn't released until 2002 and on some used car sites, the 2001 models are mostly advertised as being 2.0 TD. The reason I ask is that I have heard the TDCi engine is much better than the engine it replaced, so I want to ensure I get one with a TDCi engine.

Thanks for your help/advice.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 03/01/2008 at 16:44

'01 TDCi or not at this age ? - Screwloose

I'd want to ensure that I got one without the TDCi - which was indeed introduced in '01 in 130hp form.

The 90 and 115hp TDDi ran alongside the common-rail TDCi and, despite it's VP44 injection pump, is a far, far, safer bet.

Why do you need a diesel? The economics have completely changed now.
I commute over 50 miles per day so I assumed that a diesel would be much better economy than the Petrol. I currently own a 2005 Seat Ibiza 1.9 Diesel and get much better economy than my previous 1.4 Petrol Megane. So I am hooked on Diesel now. an I expect a similar fuel economy from a petrol Mondeo compared to the diesel?

As for not chossing a TDCi, I have heard people have problems with it, but that it was still much better than the previous version....are they referring to the old 1.8TD in the Mark II? So basically the 2.0 TDDi is the ideal one to go for?
'01 TDCi or not at this age ? - quizman
Hawks welcome to the forum. Before you buy a Ford TDCI I would have a good look at some of the posts re Focus and Mondeo diesels.

I want to whisper this to you so no-one else hears,

get a VW/Skoda/Audi/Seat diesel, they are in my opinion very good, much better than Fords. Keep this advice to yourself though!
'01 TDCi or not at this age ? - Screwloose
On an '01 Mondeo it's just about all there is. The '51-plate ones may be TDCi; but it's never a good idea to buy the first flush of anything new - and if anything goes wrong with a TDCi, it'll write the car off.

Frankly; I'd forget the whole idea and stick with the Ibiza.

Cue Cheddar.....

Edited by Screwloose on 03/01/2008 at 17:31

'01 TDCi or not at this age ? - cheddar
The TDCi was introduced in late 2001 as, if I recall correctly, what Ford called 2002.25 model year.

The TDDi is fine though the TDCi is much more refined, much more powerful, much, much more torquey and just as economical.

I have had my TDCi from new since mid 2002 and it has been fine for 125,000 miles though it is true that they can be costly if they go wrong, there are a some horror stories on this site though people with problems gravitate to a site like this, there are loads around so statistically the TDCi is pretty reliable.

Edit: Re VW etc diesels, you might as well get a TDDi Mondeo because it is just as refined if not more so than a 1.9PD, the TDCi is in a different league.

Edited by cheddar on 03/01/2008 at 17:43

'01 TDCi or not at this age ? - rtj70
"TDCi is much more refined"

Mine sounded a bit like a tractor at idle especially when cold. As did the demo vehicles. The Mazda6 diesel I now have is a lot more petrol like.

Not worked out actual MPG that much but no worse than the Mondeo TDCi.

My Mondeo had problems (two EGR valve failures, clutch/DMF and a fuel leak somewhere in the engine bay) but it was still a very good car. Good for the £19283 it should have cost and so a bargain when sold on recently.
'01 TDCi or not at this age ? - Avant
I'm not sure why you want to swap a newish Ibiza for an oldish Mondeo. OK, it may release cash, but a major repair could knock that out all at once. If you need more room, maybe think about a SEAT Toledo: they haven't been very popular and could be going cheap.

I agree about your need for a diesel - but there have been a lot of tales of woe on this forum, particularly recently, about the high cost of repairs when older diesels go wrong.
Basically, my Ibiza is on HP with a big balloon payment so needs to go back. I have about £3000 to spend on it's replacement, and need something pretty economical but spacious as I need to fit an infant car seat plus two adults in the back. Mondeo seemed like good choice due to the heavy depreciation, meaning I can get a more for my money. Any other suggestions for a good sized family car that is also economical? Picasso?
'01 TDCi or not at this age ? - Avant
Ah - I understand. Presumably another similar contract isn't possible (thus avoiding the balloon payment)?

Any oldish diesel is going to be something of a gamble, but there should be plenty of Picassos around: more of them may have been privately-owned. which is a double-edged sword as mileage may be lower but journeys will have been shorter.

Have a look at Skoda Octavias too - similar to Golf / Passat but you'll get a newer one for your money.
'01 TDCi or not at this age ? - SuperBuyer
I'll second Avant - get an Octavia, preferably a 130bhp engine. There is a top of the range (L&K) 2003 Octavia (139K) on Autotrader for £3,595..... 139K on these engines is okay providing it has a proper service history...

I'm currently running a 150bhp golf, with 121K on the clock, and so far fingers crossed no major problems. I'm having the timing belt & water pump changed on Monday, £250. So not expensive to maintain either!
'01 TDCi or not at this age ? - cheddar
I'm having the timing belt & water pump changed on Monday
£250. So not expensive to maintain either!

Not expensive to maintain? My TDCi has done 125k with no belt etc to change where as your Golf would have had at least one belt change already.