Main Dealer Oil Changes-Draining or Sucking? - Andrew Scott
I tried to remove the oil drain plug from my wifes 1.4 Zetec Fiesta at the weekend, unsuccessfully but I will try again at the weekend. My main point is do most large garages suck oil out of engines these days rather than draining the oil? it would seem to me that possibly the drain plug had never been removed in the 5 year life of the car! I add that when the car has been previously serviced I always check for new oil and new filter has been fitted. Comments please.
Main Dealer Oil Changes-Draining or Sucking? - maltrap
i don,t know which method large garages use (probably the cheapest), i,ve used both methods the sucking is the least messy & very slow, the drain plug way is probably the better way (if you can get it out). what,s more important is the frequency of the changes & the quality of the oil &filter used.
Main Dealer Oil Changes-Draining or Sucking? - quizman
I can tell the quality of beer by the taste, how can I tell the quality of an oil filter?
I know people say use an original, but Ford and the others don't make their own oil filters, what about Fram, Champion and others. Which are the good ones, which are the bad ones?

I reckon oil is better drained through the drain plug when warm, to answer the OP. Use a socket on the drain plug, I think it is size 13mm.
Main Dealer Oil Changes-Draining or Sucking? - Chris S
We've had this thread before. I think the conclusion was that draining removed more oil but only when the sum was allowed to drain fully, ie, after an hour or two when not even a drop continued to come out.

Most marine engines have their oil pumped out (due to accessibility problems) so 'sucking' doesn't seem to result in any major harm.
Main Dealer Oil Changes-Draining or Sucking? - MW
First get a new sump nut and washer. Then the best way to get an old sump nut off is to hammer a combination spanner on to it. A bit brutal. but I've had it done at a quick fit type place like this and it works. For some reason sockets often round these off, whereas combination spanners do not. So socket only for torquing up. Once the nut is new you could buy a single socket that has flats not corners for gripping. These work well, as rounding off is nearly impossible.
The other key for home mechanics working in a drive is to get the car high and work very square on. Trying to do it at arms length, usually results in rounding off.
If all else fails, go to a quick fit type place. When it is up in the air, they will get it off. Bread and butter problem to these boys.
I also much favour draining down.

Edited by MW on 03/01/2008 at 12:23

Main Dealer Oil Changes-Draining or Sucking? - Number_Cruncher
For the reasons I gave on the hot or cold drain thread, I don't think it matters whether you suck the oil out, or drain it out. There's an oil gallery full of oil that doesn't come out whichever method you use, and possibly the volume of oil contained in an oil cooler and pipework to/from also.

I don't know the reason, but people get very nervous about oil and oil change regimes. If it were so critical, the technical forum would contain little other than stories of catastrophic engine failure caused by lubrication failures.

In normal use, as long as the oil is changed at least as per the manufacturers interval, and using at least the quality of oil called up by the manufacturer, you are unlikley to have any bother.

Number_Cruncher
Main Dealer Oil Changes-Draining or Sucking? - mfarrow
The sump plug would come out easier if it were heated, especially with an aluminium sump. Hot air gun?

I'd suggest a blowtorch but I'd be shouted at so I won't.